UKC

Logbook bug? can't record a DNF without a style

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gooberman-hill 31 Aug 2021

The UKC logbook won't let me record a DNF without specifying an ascent style. 

Today I attempted the W Ridge of the Dent du Tsalion - a fairly respectable alpine day out (600m according to the AC Valais Alps West guide). But on reaching the base of the ridge, it was verglassed, so having led the first pitch, we retreated.

I'd like to record the attempt, and having retreated it's a DNF. But I don't really feel the need to specify whether it was led, alt leads or whatever (a bit too early to tell) - but in order to record a DNF I have to specify the attempt style!

If this is the intended behaviour? If so, why?

Thanks,

Steve 

McHeath 01 Sep 2021
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Maybe there should be an additional "style" option of HGS* which would then automatically tick the DNF box.

*hardly got started

HeMa 01 Sep 2021

Because it matters... style matters .

Anyway, in your case it's Lead - DNF... or were you the one seconding, in which case 2nd - DNF...

And use the comments/remarks box as mental note, that only climbed first pitch, retrieted due to verglas.

After all, style is how you climbed (to the point when you bailed)... and bailing was there to mark that you did not succeed on climbing the line (DNF). So kind of result... but not style.

Albeit, some could argue that perhaps DNF is my current climbing "style"... but that's another thing altogether. 

In reply to McHeath:

Love it. But I think in deference to the late great Tom Patey it should be "HAL" - Had a Look

Steve

McHeath 01 Sep 2021

I'd forgotten that one, here's to TP! 

In reply to McHeath:

I've often thought it'd be nice to have a DNS option to log the days when you've taken the gear for a walk and possibly warn others not to go to the trouble until the crag has had a few days to dry out.

Yes, I mean you, Central Buttress (E1 5b)

It's due to the way the data is saved, it's not a bug. There's just a 2 digit number for the ascent style and the sub-style in the database. The system wasn't designed to accept the sub-style without the main style value.

I'd just stick Lead DNF down since that's what you did.

In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

It's not a bug, it's a feature 🤣

Steve

Philip 01 Sep 2021
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

What about a bouldering style DPC - Dynoed Past Crux 😛

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...