UKC

Logbooks - toprope disables redpoint?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pottsy84 01 Jun 2021

Apologies if this is in the wrong place - UKC logbooks rather than Rockfax, but the two are interlinked.

A question of semantics maybe - but why if a route has previously been top-roped clean (onsight/flash/redpoint) is the redpoint option disabled for a future lead? I keep my log fairly detailed (and hence not publicly viewable, as there's a fair amount of beta in there on ongoing projects which casual readers looking at routes may not wish to see), and do log climbs on top-rope working a route separately to a later redpoint. The only option here is to log the first successful lead as a repeat ascent, despite it being the first clean lead.

There is a simple workaround - edit any existing clean top-rope entries to DNF, then enter the lead redpoint, then go back and re-set the top-rope entries to the correct ascent style - but to me at least the logic of the above doesn't follow?

Thanks, Chris

Graeme Hammond 02 Jun 2021
In reply to Pottsy84:

Easier than your work round is to log the final lead as a rpt, then go back and edit it. When editing it you now get all the original options that it wouldn't before, therefore you don't need to change all the TR entries.

I personally think of rpt as a retro flash of a route/problem. Particularly with bouldering i might repeat something but not get it first go in which case it is SentX IMO but again you don't get an option for sentX if you have previously logged it. So is equally annoying having to log then edit as i like to be accurate about the style of my repeats if i bother to log them to distinguish between a retro flash and one that took work. 

Post edited at 08:12
In reply to Pottsy84:

Hi, we'll look into this today. I does sound like the logic is a little wrong there.

OP Pottsy84 02 Jun 2021
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Thanks Graeme - I hadn't clocked that it was the act of editing that unlocked it again, your solution is definitely quicker if there's more than one previous ascent!

OP Pottsy84 02 Jun 2021
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thanks Paul.

AJM 02 Jun 2021
In reply to Pottsy84:

I've had to do that with ground up in the past - I've not checked it recently but if you logged a dnf previously you couldn't then log the ascent as ground up. As a DWS aficionado, the multi session "soup up" is an integral part of my summer climbing style!

In reply to Pottsy84:

Sorry for the delay. This should be fixed now.

In reply to AJM:

This is fixed too.

Powley 02 Jul 2021

I remember the same happening for routes seconded and then lead - don't know if the two are interlinked

OP Pottsy84 02 Jul 2021

Thanks Paul - I think you fixed it pretty quickly, it's only the reply that took time You guys do a grand job of keeping all us whingers happy!

AJM 03 Jul 2021

Thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...