UKC

The use of the logbook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 13 Mar 2017
I have always used the logbook on here. The reason why I used it has morphed over the years.
At first it was just a recording place easy to find (I have lost my old notebooks many times over).
Then it became this plus a place to show off and feel smug (this required people to know who you were-your UKC persona).
Now I increasingly log to let other people know what I found...as an extra bit of info you can get from the UKC logs. But this is problematic when people climbed on routes that were not "in".

Having said that, I have also changed the way I log things. I used to just log (style...) now, for winter routes/esoteric rock route, I also like to give an indication of conditions found.
This also came from my own search for info. I don't necessarily need the route I want logged as luckily I can infer, from past experience, that if route A at crag X is in there's a good chance that route B at Crag Y should also be in.

Do you put much thoughts about your logging? Do you always log? Do you think we should put that info out, or is it spoiling the adventure?
 Misha 13 Mar 2017
In reply to French Erick:
It's always useful when people mention conditions. I try to but depends how much time I have when doing the log.
 Tricadam 13 Mar 2017
I really appreciate it when people add stuff about conditions, mention an interesting bit of technical info, spray some beta, own up to an epic or write something that makes me laugh. The only things I find irritating are the single line "X hours car-to-car" entries: if you can't think of anything better to say about the route, you should have picked a better one. Or stayed at home and watched a box set. Or simply written, "On this day my penis was X long," in order to avoid confusion

I keep my log private as I often use it as a bit of a diary entry for the day, recording all sorts of stuff that no-one else needs to read. Instead I often post something in a thread about what the conditions were like/what the other routes thereabouts looked like. E.g. a week ago I didn't want people seeing a tick on Central Gully on Lurcher's and walking in hoping for loads of fat ice, so put up a wee note in a thread.
Post edited at 21:53
 Tricadam 13 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I mean, if you want to convey that you pissed all over the route, why not note something like "Yellow snow on all belays" instead?

> Do you put much thoughts about your logging? Do you always log? Do you think we should put that info out, or is it spoiling the adventure?

All good questions. I originally logged everything, I then had a few years when I didn't climb much and didn't log it, I'm now back logging nearly everything. For example today's routes were logged earlier.

The minority of missing routes are now disproportionately annoying...

However, things are slightly complicated by the fact I use my original profile under my real name for my logbook but this profile for using the forums. I also can't decide whether to have my logbook public or not. As it happens, I just changed it to public again last week.

I rarely add notes which has possibly been influenced by having a private logbook most of the time. However, I appreciate the notes other make especially with Winter routes. If I keep it public, I way well add more information on routes next Winter.

There is definitely a tension between using the logbook as a personal record and between it being a permanent public record. A certain individuals forty-five attempts (exaggerating lots) on nearly every grade 7 sport route in Dorset don't add much to the logbook database, however their entries are as equally valid as anyone else's.

My approach when reading any comments is to assume that they are primarily there as a personal record and any information relevant to me when researching a route is a bonus. I don't think it particularly valid to consider them worth passing judgement on. In that vein, I think tricadam's opinion that he dislikes some comments but keeps his own logbook private is a bit hypocritical.

Finally, I don't think you can really have too much beta. After all, if you want a pure onsight that much, you're going to avoid reading any of the logbook comments in the first place.
 Tricadam 14 Mar 2017
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

> A certain individuals forty-five attempts (exaggerating lots) on nearly every grade 7 sport route in Dorset don't add much to the logbook database

I think it would be absolutely excellent entertainment value if someone really did log that!

> In that vein, I think tricadam's opinion that he dislikes some comments but keeps his own logbook private is a bit hypocritical.

My post indicated a wide variety of things about logbook entries which I appreciate, and only one precise little thing which I don't. (Just so it's clear, I'm not objecting to folk jotting down their car-to-car time as an afterthought to an entry. But if it's the only thing they write? Come on!) And I explained my rationale both for keeping my logbook private - so as not to bore you all, essentially - and for using the forums instead to provide the info that might be helpful to others.

In fact, what I think would be helpful would be to have a feature whereby you can make a publicly-accessible comment as well as have your private log.
OP French Erick 14 Mar 2017

I liked that post better where I first placed it: winter climbing. I think it is more relevant there. Could it be put back there please? It'll probably get more answers there too!
 Tricadam 14 Mar 2017
Agree, Erick. It's specifically relevant to winter, given the value of the logbook in updating other users on conditions.
Post edited at 19:45
 Chris Ebbutt 14 Mar 2017
I have often wondered whether there was a way to have a club setting for logbook access, as in allowing those in your club to have access. I understand I can collect everyone's details over time but it would be useful/ fun if you could see other club members even if they didn't want it totally public.
Chris
 Mark Stevenson 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
> In fact, what I think would be helpful would be to have a feature whereby you can make a publicly-accessible comment as well as have your private log.

Good idea. Some option to decide on a route by route basis could be helpful.

PaulTclimbing 18 Mar 2017
In reply to French Erick: to be entered. Delayed 4hrs below tower by bbc filming the edge raebuurn re enactment. -18. Abject fear on crux western chimney. Chopped. No gear just torques. Told myself I'm dead already ala Mr Dawes making a heel hook move. Belayed Phil into gap whilst pulling up hypo party last in line. Signalled CIC for rescue. Refused to take em shaking into the gap. Gary who had two broken ankles mending said. We are going to get out of this alive are nt we. I said shut up Gary. Phil led to summit plateau. Saw helicopters. Ran down for 2 am - Gary's ankles hurting. Pub at spean bridge for 3 thirty Phil asked for water. They opened door and pointed to the river 800 m away bought pints Phil still in harness etc. pints played darts. 1 st ever route on the Ben.
 snoop6060 18 Mar 2017

I just do it so I can read back and reminisce about the rare days I climbed well or did something brave (even rarer). I Also quite like to beat the previous years routes total ( without resorting to cheap tatics of logging 100 font 3s / vdiffs in a day!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...