UKC

Bugaboos information

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graham Hoey 25 May 2023

Hi, we are hoping to visit the Bugaboos this summer (August) but will not have a car. Does anyone know how easy it is to get to the trail head without a car?

Thanks

Graham

Alex Riley 25 May 2023
In reply to Graham Hoey:

I've not been to the Bugs, but I'e climbed in K country and around Canmore. Public transport doesn't really exist in the same was as it does here and the trailhead for the bugs is pretty far out of the way. I'd put it in the not easy unless you can find someone to give you a lift category.

redjerry 25 May 2023
In reply to Graham Hoey:

https://www.cmhheli.com/
Suspect these guys either run or organize  a shuttle from Calgary airport, prob be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction. (they have a lodge right there at the bugaboo trailhead).

jon 25 May 2023
In reply to Graham Hoey:

In fact there's a CMH helipad near Brisco, you could try contacting them. Getting to Brisco, I'm not sure. You don't really need the experience I had...

> I was hitching on my own from Calgary and managed to get a lift to Brisco. I told the driver that I was trying to get to the parking near Bugaboo Lodge but he said he couldn't take me as the road was too rough but that he'd leave me at the Bugaboo road junction and I could try hitching the last 28 miles. He was about to drop me off, when he said, 'I'll buy you a beer before you go', and we went into a bar where he ordered... a pitcher of beer ! We drank that... and I bought a second. We finished it and he said 'Hey... I'll take you there myself'.

> We located his car and after reversing into a tree, set off up the dirt road. We were, I'm guessing, 10 miles short of the lodge when a tyre blew out with a loud bang. We got his spare on then he said that he'd have to leave me there as now he'd be stuffed if he had another flat. It was dark now, so I set off walking, when I heard another car approaching from behind me. It stopped but the driver said that he couldn't give me a lift as it would exceed the permitted load for his vehicle !!! And set off on his way. A good half hour later headlights came over a rise towards me. A pickup stopped and the driver said 'Hi Jon, get in !!' Turned out the occupants of the other car had stopped at the lodge and told him of my predicament. '… so I couldn't leave a lone Englishman out there at night in grizzly country, could I !' Took me all the way to the parking !

George Ormerod 25 May 2023
In reply to jon:

> In fact there's a CMH helipad near Brisco, you could try contacting them. Getting to Brisco, I'm not sure. You don't really need the experience I had...

> > I was hitching on my own from Calgary and managed to get a lift to Brisco. I told the driver that I was trying to get to the parking near Bugaboo Lodge but he said he couldn't take me as the road was too rough but that he'd leave me at the Bugaboo road junction and I could try hitching the last 28 miles. He was about to drop me off, when he said, 'I'll buy you a beer before you go', and we went into a bar where he ordered... a pitcher of beer ! We drank that... and I bought a second. We finished it and he said 'Hey... I'll take you there myself'.

Lucky, lucky, bastard.  Since Greyhound cancelled their services you can't even get to Golden.

You could try the numerous Rockies FB climbing pages: Calgary Climbing community, Bow Valley Climbing Community, etc.

In reply to Graham Hoey:

We were there last summer, but we had a vehicle. 

There's a pretty steady stream of cars going up that way most days, so if you could get to the road end I suspect someone would stop. 

Other option would be to contact some local guides or outdoor shops and see if they could hook you up? 

OP Graham Hoey 27 May 2023
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Thanks Alasdair. I believe there are two roads leading to the trail head. Which one are you referring to?

Graham 

In reply to Graham Hoey:

We took the one closer to Golden iirc, but my mate was navigating.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...