UKC

Camusteel Cliffs, Applecross

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Camusteel Seacliffs

Hi,

There a group of us off to Applecross for a week at the beginning of June and I'm trying to work out what climbing is available in the area and which guidebook to get. There a reference to 30 cliff climbing routes at Camusteel in the crag database but no information on routes.  Does anyone have any information or know if it's covered by a guidebook?

Thanks,

B

Andy Nisbet 14 May 2018
In reply to 3kidsandanorton:

They are in Northern Highlands South, pages 192 to 193. They aren't climbed on much nowadays (the outdoor centre used to use them a lot), so just summarised. 35 routes with one to two line descriptions. There wasn't much info, technical grades only, so that's what's in the guide. Top-roping was more normal but you can lead.

In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks Andy, we might wander down and take a look one evening when the midges have gone to bed!

Wicamoi 15 May 2018

Firstly, midges don't go to bed until it's proper dark. 

Secondly, the guide Andy mentions is your best bet, but still not very useful, giving (mostly) only British technical grades (range 3a-5c).

Thirdly, I have visited the cliffs and come away thoroughly uninspired (even though I love Torridonian sandstone and sea cliffs). The rock is a bit greasy and rotten. 

Probably better to have a look on a wet day when climbing isn't an option.

Andy Nisbet 16 May 2018
In reply to Wicamoi:

Yes, it's rather neglected. Only technical grades were given because there was no certainty the routes had been led. I think I was there with John Lyall (but it was a while ago) and we did climb a few routes but it seemed better to only give technical grades when we didn't have complete information (and some routes looked unprotected). It wasn't greasy (depends on the weather) but some routes looked unprotectable. Worth a look if you're there anyway, but Ardheslaig is way much better (see the guide).

In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Hi Andy, thanks for the recommendation of Ardheslaig. A group of us have just had an excellent day there with blue skies, no midges and every route on the crag climbed.

Andy Nisbet 03 Jun 2018

Glad you enjoyed Ardheslaig. It's a great wee crag.

pasbury 03 Jun 2018

If you are up to a long mountain v diff then have a go at Cioch Nose. Maybe the best V diff in the U.K.

Seems better than some dubious crumbly stuff to me!

Post edited at 22:20
 Andy Nisbet 04 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

> If you are up to a long mountain v diff then have a go at Cioch Nose. Maybe the best V diff in the U.K

The only problem with this suggestion is that it's Severe.

wercat 04 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

what? When did that happen, or has some of it fallen off?

Andy Nisbet 04 Jun 2018
In reply to wercat:

It's been Severe in the SMC guidebooks for many years.

Simon Caldwell 05 Jun 2018
In reply to wercat:

It was upgraded a few years back, presumably to bring it in line with all the other overgraded sub-VS routes in Scotland

DaveHK 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> It's been Severe in the SMC guidebooks for many years.

Did it not start out as the 'diff to end all diffs' or something like that?

Andy Nisbet 05 Jun 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> Did it not start out as the 'diff to end all diffs' or something like that?

yes, that's right. But it aint!

DaveHK 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> yes, that's right. But it aint!

I'd certainly agree that it's not diff.

john ryden 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Bob on Andy

> yes, that's right. But it aint!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...