UKC

Climbing partners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sammy5000 22 Apr 2018

Ive posted on here a couple of times when i have had no one to climb with. Living 10 mins from loads of yorkshire limestone can be very frustrating, especially when you have no friends around to get out with.

So the intricacies of getting a climbing partner. I have been a bit miffed with it hence lack of forum use.

So people post then you see the replies "sorted for today now" after someone has said they would like to get out.

Well hey you might be sorted but they still arent! Maybe winter and mountain crags it can be difficult but sports climbs? Im on the facebook page lakes climbers with a day off. Replied to a post last night but hey theyre sorted sorted now 5 mins from the house on a sports crag.

Can someone tell me whats happened to the comradery in climbing. some people I used to climb with sucumbed to this also. I now choose not to call them if me and others are getting out.

We always had a saying the more the merrier!

Pay Attention 22 Apr 2018
In reply to sammy5000:

Mileage varies ....  In my case the lack of transport is a key factor!

POSITIVE

In February I met someone from here at Venice airport.  We'd never met before, no mutual contacts etc.  We had a week climbing ice grade 4s and it was absolutely brilliant.

NEGATIVE

I had  arranged to go to the Welsh mountains for this weekend and at 23:00 on Thu got the message 

Hi Paul 

Sorry to mess you around.  Somethings come up and I can’t go ahead with the trip. Hope you have a good weekend anyway.

Joe

Didn't matter. I still got out.

Wiley Coyote2 22 Apr 2018
In reply to sammy5000:

I'm amazed anybody hooks up with a total stranger. At the risk of sounding over-dramatic, when you let someone belay you/lower you off a route you are literally putting the rest of your life in their hands. If they screw up you could end up dead or in a wheelchair. For that kind of trust I want more than some  claims in a logbook. Granted those claims will almost certainly be true but does 'almost certainly cut it?

I was asked by a guy at the wall if I wanted to climb with him. He seemed competent but  I didn't know him so said I was just bouldering. I later heard he was done for driving under the influence of drugs. No idea if it was same day or even if he made of habit of using drugs but I was glad I'd  ducked out.

OP sammy5000 22 Apr 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Haha If I have someone holding my ropes for the first time I always lead something really easy. If they are shite they get told if they dont improve they dont hold my rope simple that even applies to long time mates. 

Ive had alot of people holding my ropes under the influanceof drugs. That doesnt tend to bother me aslong as they are paying attention

planetmarshall 22 Apr 2018

> I later heard he was done for driving under the influence of drugs. No idea if it was same day or even if he made of habit of using drugs but I was glad I'd  ducked out.

In fairness I have definitely noticed a correlation between reliable, safe climbing partners and driving behaviour that borders on the dangerously criminal.

JackM92 23 Apr 2018

I’ve climbed with probably 20 or so people from UKC forums, none of whom I’d met before. Everyone has been safe, competent and reliable, and a number have become regular partners and good friends.

Generally those I’ve met from the lifts and partners forum have been well above the average level of safety I’ve experienced and seen at the crag.

However a few years ago I was that fumbling beginner who didn’t know what moving together was or how to use a prussic, and am very grateful for the sound guidance I had from those more experienced.

David Myatt 23 Apr 2018
In reply to sammy5000: Why not join a local climbing club? That's how I've been able to find partners.

zv 23 Apr 2018
In reply to sammy5000:

Hey Sam, I don't have a car but if you sre after a Malham, Kilnsey partner drop me an e-mail. If possible to get a lift from Settle, I'll be definitely up for Yorkshire limestone this season.

Cheese Monkey 23 Apr 2018
In reply to Pay Attention:

I met up with a chap from here in Wales for a weekend with the idea that if we got on ok to make plans to do a few weeks in Alps. He seemed competent and amicable, so we made plans. I arrived in Switzerland with family a little early and then he cancelled at the last minute. 

Fk you Ben

Still got out mind and met some decent people

The Ivanator 23 Apr 2018

By the rationale of your post it would be hard to trust climbing with anyone for the first time. I've climbed with dozens of UKC users (from novices to super experienced) all have been honest about their abilities, and the one bad day was almost entirely my own fault - there's been hundreds of good ones to compensate.

Good friends and regular partners have come from using the forums, although lifts and partners doesn't seem as active as  a few years back. I check logs and profile before we meet. Chat about experience on the walk in, watch them set up carefully and choose something easy for the first route, but yes at some point with every climbing partner you have to take the plunge and trust their competency.

J1234 23 Apr 2018
In reply to sammy5000:

Maybe a little more in your profile would help. When I have wanted a partner off here I have had a full profile.

Wiley Coyote2 23 Apr 2018
In reply to The Ivanator:

> By the rationale of your post it would be hard to trust climbing with anyone for the first time.

Not really. I've  always climbed with friends or friends of friends whose judgement I trust and working on the basis of "If my mate X, who I know to be choosey about  who  he climbs with, is happy to climb with you then you  will be OK". That's a bit different from a total stranger.

I quite accept that most of the people who hook up on UKC are fine but, to misquote the IRA, you only have to be unlucky once.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...