UKC

/ Clogwyn yr Eryr (Crafnant)

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Dan Arkle - on 16 May 2018

Clogwyn yr Eryr (Crafnant)

I had a couple of great days at this awesome crag, I'm surprised its not better known.

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce it correctly please?

Kimono - on 16 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

clogwin ar erir

more or less

ps cravnant

Andy Hardy on 17 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

The bit with phoenix etc on it is known as SH wall, as it was visible from the outside khasi (the Sh1t House) at Blaen-y-nant

Matt Podd - on 17 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Agreed, a brilliant crag, in a lovely situation. Climbing there years ago, a raven was rolling pebbles down on to us as we climbed. Don't think it liked humans and who can blame it.

In reply to Dan Arkle:

I was talking to someone about this crag the other day.

As you say, it's a great venue - feels kind of hidden - with that beautiful drive past Llyn Geirionydd on the way in, feels like you're re-discovering a long lost part of Snowdonia.

As for the routes, they're all amazing, but I still maintain that the grades of Astoroth (E2 5c) and Phoenix (E2 5c) are an absolute joke. When I first did Astoroth I thought it was E4 6a, which may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but goes to show the torrid time I had on it. Phoenix is just as bad, with a really awkward, off-balance, and surprisingly hard to protect start it's basically E3 all the way in my opinion. Things got a bit more logical once you got to E4, but that's not to say they were easy for the grade!

Ron Rees Davies - on 17 May 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> feels kind of hidden - with that beautiful drive past Llyn Geirionydd on the way.....

Almost as though it's been hidden in a different valley past a different lake ??? 

In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Sounds pretty hidden to me then 

GPN - on 17 May 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle: Great crag. I reckon it’s not better known because it’s ‘ard!

Phoenix felt more like a Lakes E2 than a welsh one.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.