UKC

CUMC Fresher's Meet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 foobar123 07 Oct 2017
Dear UKC community,

This is just a quick notice that Cambridge University Mountaineering Club will be holding our annual Freshers' Meet at Stanage on Sunday 22 October. We've booked a 49 seater coach that will arrive at the Popular end around 10AM and we'll spend the day climbing around that end, leaving around 5PM. Climbers will be grouped so that each experienced climber will have two or three less-experienced seconds and will spread out along the crag so we don't take over one area. No top-ropes will be set up, and we'll do our best to ensure everyone has proper climbing shoes and cleans up after themselves. We'll try to be as unobtrusive as possible and also to let anyone else climb what they want if you let us know.

We're aware that taking a coach has caused issues in the past. However, we feel that this is the best way for us to transport that number of people up to the Peak District from both an environmental view (lower emissions than the equivalent journey by car) and in terms of taking up space at the crag (if the coach takes up roughly six spaces, that's around 8 people per space).

If you have any issues with us on the day please come and talk to us. Thanks for your understanding!

Ed (CUMC outdoor meet sec)
 Jackwd 07 Oct 2017
In reply to foobar123:

Whilst a load of people will moan, thanks for letting us all know in advance. You didn't have to justify your 8 people per space, but maybe it will shut the moaners up. Haha!
 duchessofmalfi 07 Oct 2017

Just ask the coach to go and park somewhere else - sounds like you've got a driver and there are car parks that take coaches not far. I occasionally take bit groups to the Peak in a coach and simply send the coach away until needed.
 Greenbanks 07 Oct 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

"send the coach away until needed"

Maybe said driver could nip the coach back to the Cambridge depot for the wait
 Si_G 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Maybe said driver could nip the coach back to the Cambridge depot for the wait

Other locations are available.
 toad 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Si_G:

Apparently the plantation car park is always half empty............
 Si_G 08 Oct 2017
In reply to toad:

Hah! Not sure you could swing a coach in there.
 Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to foobar123:

Have a like from me. Thanks for taking the time to post and doing your best to limit your impact (i.e. No top ropes and clean shoes).
We may have to agree to differ on whether or not 49 posh kids with a sense of entitlement trampling over Derbyshire is unobtrusive, but then I am just a grumpy old git.
 JMarkW 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Si_G:

Especially with everyone parked on the road outside the entrance to the carpark...
 Andy Hardy 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

> [...]
> We may have to agree to differ on whether or not 49 posh kids with a sense of entitlement trampling over Derbyshire is unobtrusive, but then I am just a grumpy old git.

Chippy much?
 TMM 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:
Go on, have a crack at explaining why the 49 people you haven’t met are all ‘entitled’.
 Greenbanks 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

I'm (often) a GOG. But I'd draw the line with that kind of sweeping generalisation
 Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:
Maybe, but then I paid for my opinion!
 Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
I may have driven in a panel pin in with a sledge hammer ! And yes I apologise for the sweeping generalisation.
Post edited at 13:44
 Kevster 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:
I'm guessing you paid for your education? Then you may be in the same crowd as a number of the cumc group.
If you didn't pay for your education, that'd be the taxes paid by others that did, and also in the same crowd as some of the cumc group.
If you didn't have an education, then I apologise for being presumptuous.

I also think your comment on entitlement wasnt the finest. Each to their own I guess. I trust your just having a naff day and wish you a fine afternoon in recompense.

Edit, you seem to have noted the heavy hand while I typed. Peace and love.
Post edited at 13:50
 Brass Nipples 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

> We may have to agree to differ on whether or not 49 posh kids with a sense of entitlement trampling over Derbyshire is unobtrusive, but then I am just a grumpy old git.

Believe me, students at Cambridge are far from posh.

Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Kevster:
Stinking flu, not climbing, so perhaps grumpier than usual. I believe I apologised for the entitlement comment on an earlier post. That said, and probably due to my poor levels of education, I am finding it difficult to articulate just what it is I find so cringe worthy in regard to these meets. My experience rather than a generalisation is from witnessing many of them over the years. I clearly went overboard, but I doubt I am alone in my poor experience in regards to this type of event. Maybe it's just at odds with my view of a quiet day climbing with a buddy.

danm 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

> Maybe it's just at odds with my view of a quiet day climbing with a buddy.

In which case Stanage Popular on a Sunday would never be a good choice, uni club trip or not. If I want solitude, I go off the beaten track.
 Greenbanks 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

No worries.
 Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to danm:

I likewise can, and do find out of the way places to climb. Do you think Stanage can/should sustain group sizes of fifty? Can any crag? Perhaps that's the bit that is NOT OK in my view.
 mrphilipoldham 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

If you want a quiet day climbing with a buddy then head for the Chew Valley..
 planetmarshall 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

> I likewise can, and do find out of the way places to climb. Do you think Stanage can/should sustain group sizes of fifty? Can any crag? Perhaps that's the bit that is NOT OK in my view.

It struggles to contain the numbers as it is, large groups or not. At least large groups tend to be a bit more considerate with their transport arrangements. How many more informal groups turn up to the crag with one car per person?
 Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:
You could spin it lots of ways, if each climbing party of two came in their own transport then the car park would be full, necessitating others to climb elsewhere. But then limiting traffic at the crag for those already there. I guess it depends if you see the issue in terms of vehicular traffic or numbers of people at the crag. I guess it's fairly clear that driving to a crag is hardly eco friendly by any means. None of the roads approaching Stanage are particularly suitable for HGVs though in my view.
 Andy Hardy 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

There are 1300 routes and 400 boulder problems at Stanage. I think it can cope with 50 additional climbers
 planetmarshall 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

> You could spin it lots of ways, if each climbing party of two came in their own transport then the car park would be full, necessitating others to climb elsewhere. But then limiting traffic at the crag for those already there. I guess it depends if you see the issue in terms of vehicular traffic or numbers of people at the crag.

The former, at least I think the number of actual people at the crag is, currently, a manageable problem. The vehicular traffic at the popular end, on the other hand, is getting a bit silly.

Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:
I concede that it would seem that I am alone in thinking that taking a 50 seater coach to Stanage Popular is concerning, and that group size at a crag needs some limit. The figures you quote are for the entire crag of which the majority will be virtually empty.

In reply to planetmarshall:

It's all them pesky walkers if you ask me.. as if there's not enough footpaths across the rest of the Peak District and away from popular climbing areas. I think it must be the short walk in..
 Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to mrphilipoldham:
I think they could be re-directed to the Over The Moors areas!
 Andy Hardy 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

I share your concerns about the coach - mainly because the roads leading to the crag are narrow and a 50 seat coach would be a serious impediment to an ambulance (for instance), but Stanage is pretty big, and certainly big enough for 50 climbers to not be a problem
 Coel Hellier 08 Oct 2017
In reply to the thread:

Being late October the number of people at the crag -- even with an additional 50 -- is likely to be well down on numbers during good-weather weekends in June, July and August.
 Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I'm sure you are right in regards to the actual numbers, though the numbers of commercial guided groups, top ropes, and meets just seems like it's increasing. I was nearly off on a JD style rant in regard to the soul of the place, but I'm sure that's the flu talking. I'm gonna shut up now, as picking 49 fights a day is my usual limit.
In reply to foobar123:

Thanks for posting this helpful notice. What you are doing seems entirely reasonable, and surely most of us here want to encourage young people to start climbing, preferably under the guidance of experienced climbers?
In reply to Wayne S:

God no, please.. keep them..
Deadeye 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

> Stinking flu, not climbing, so perhaps grumpier than usual. I believe I apologised for the entitlement comment on an earlier post. That said, and probably due to my poor levels of education, I am finding it difficult to articulate just what it is I find so cringe worthy in regard to these meets. My experience rather than a generalisation is from witnessing many of them over the years. I clearly went overboard, but I doubt I am alone in my poor experience in regards to this type of event. Maybe it's just at odds with my view of a quiet day climbing with a buddy.

Yes - that's all fine... but you lost it with the oxbridge cheap shot.
 Wayne S 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Deadeye:
It's my pithy no nonsense working class upbringing sorry. Clearly a lot of angst left from living Int cardboard box at ent of road! I did say sorry!
 bonebag 08 Oct 2017
In reply to foobar123:

You have as much right as the rest of us to go climbing at Stannage and there are around 1200 hundred climbs so plenty to choose from. As for the coach well it's not like you are there every weekend is it so the rest of us can just show a little restraint.

Have a great climb and hopefully some of the folks on the trip will be converted to climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...