UKC

DWS in logbooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Ebbutt 28 Sep 2013
Just wondering if there was an IT problem with adding DWS to the style of ascent in the logbooks, or was it felt not to be a common enough style to justify a seperate entry on the drop down list?
I accept its probably not much of an issue for most on UKC but it currently looks like I "solo", when the reality is I like climbing above the lovely warm deep waters of Tobay which if you can swim gives a better landing than ropes or pads. Always feel a bit of a faker clicking "solo", with it''s implication of danger and commitment.
Like to know what others think and if UKC would consider adding DWS as a style of ascent.

Cheers Chris
 Jamiet297 28 Sep 2013
In reply to chris ebbutt: Makes sense
In reply to chris ebbutt: Really good idea, Chris.
Steve
 Sarah Welsh 28 Sep 2013
In reply to chris ebbutt: Yes, I'm surprised there's no DWS option too. It's a completely different undertaking ( and experience) from soloing scrambles and climbs, or bouldering. As it doesn't have a unique grading system ( as scrambling and bouldering do), defining it under style of ascent would be a good idea.
 petecallaghan 29 Sep 2013
In reply to chris ebbutt: +1 for DWS category
 Wee Davie 29 Sep 2013
In reply to chris ebbutt:

I asked about this a few years ago and was told it wouldn't be added. I agree it would make sense- at the moment these routes look bizarre in my logbook. I certainly don't lead at the trad at the grades I've DWS'd!
 ledifer 29 Sep 2013

probably should do, my logbook current says I'm a S leader whose soloed E1!
OP Chris Ebbutt 29 Sep 2013
Thank you for the various comments, appears to be some agreement among the minority of climbers who log DWS.
To avoid confusion on the graphs perhaps the SO grade could be linked to the French grade to avoid adding DWS ascents into sport climbing statistics?
Would like to know the reason for previous UKC decision to decline adding DWS as a style of ascent?
Is there a protocol for asking a question direct to the site or do they monitor posts and reply if deemed appropriate?
As stated originally, I am aware this is a bit of a niche topic but to those climbers living on the south coast of Devon and Dorset it is of interest.

Cheers Chris

Adding DWS as an option would cause us a lot of problems unfortunately since it would be very difficult to separate it so that it only appeared for routes which can be deep water soloed. Style of ascent menu appears for everything. If DWS was an option on there then it would also appear for everything which would look a bit rubbish. Anyone fancy a DWS of Cenotaph Corner?

The other option is to define a new grade range that was for DWS routes however this causes problems with routes that are both DWS and trad/sport routes and get done in both styles.

I am sure it would be possible to have some sort of flag on a route that indicated it was a DWS route, but then someone would need to go through the entire database and tick the flag on the DWS routes which is rather a lot of work.

Hence at the moment it isn't something we are likely to do. The fact that you have a solo in the style option is enough to indicate that you have soloed it. It does make some people's stats look a bit odd but that isn't the worst thing in the world.

Cheers

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
> (In reply to chris ebbutt)
>
> Adding DWS as an option would cause us a lot of problems unfortunately since it would be very difficult to separate it so that it only appeared for routes which can be deep water soloed. Style of ascent menu appears for everything. If DWS was an option on there then it would also appear for everything which would look a bit rubbish. Anyone fancy a DWS of Cenotaph Corner?
>

Not sure that is an issue. That exists for all the routes in the database anyway. From the drop down menu you already have the option to Boulder Cenotaph corner, you could select to Top Rope the Frendo Spur. No issue with having DWS on the drop down for all routes and choose it if it applies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...