UKC

easy access crags advice - peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jessyb55 12 May 2021

Asking for a friend ... no really.  A pal with mobility issues at the mo.  Wants to come along and hang out & I'd really like not to leave him out while we all climb.  

He could probably handle a bit of a slow stroll but doesn't need to be hacking around at the bottom of Froggat after a 20 min walk in.

There's Yarncliffe & Horseshoe I guess but can't think of any more .... advice gratefully accepted.

Don't mind too much about trad / sport as long as there are easy to mid grades. 

Thanks.

martin curtis 12 May 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Burbage north might be pretty good

S Ramsay 12 May 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Windgather has the easiest walk in that I can think of, a pleasant venue as well. I think that there is a stile though, don't know if that's an issue.

flatlandrich 12 May 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Windgather rocks? Two minute walk in and stacks of low/mid grade routes. 

Andy Hardy 12 May 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Burbage

Millstone

Lawrencefield

Aldery Cliff  

Some bits of Stoney Middleton (garage buttress?)

Horse Thief quarry

Mason Lees

All pretty short walk ins

Dave Garnett 12 May 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Yes, Windgather is pretty much roadside, as is Aldery Cliff and Hobson Moor Quarry.  Black Rocks is an easy stroll from the car park. 

Also, Pic Tor, Willersley, Ramshaw, Gib Tor...?

OP jessyb55 12 May 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Thanks all.  Much appreciated. I'll check those suggestions out! Loads of new ones on me.  

raussmf 12 May 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Unless I took a daft way mason lees isn't exactly easy!

Andy Hardy 13 May 2021
In reply to raussmf:

I'm blaming senility, should have typed which can also be spelled Masson Lees

mcdougal 13 May 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Look at Aldery - you can literally park at the bottom of the crag. 

deepsoup 13 May 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Some good suggestions already.  Here's another possibility..

The 'Apparent North' area of Stanage has a much easier walk in than the rest of the crag.  (Parking for that area is generally in the long layby along the road heading towards the Popular End from Burbage North.)

There's a little spot down the road a bit towards the Pop End parking where you can't really park (though some numpty almost always does) but you could drop your friend off there before parking the car to reduce the walk-in further.  (It reduces the length of the walk in from 650m odd down below 400m, but is slightly more uphill.)

There's a bench with a nice view only about 30m or so along the road from the end of the walk-in path.  Perhaps your friend could sit there while you park the car and jog back down the road to join him for the walk up to the crag.

https://goo.gl/maps/MzysUyNL3oDskqfM8

Post edited at 16:34
In reply to jessyb55:

Another vote for Colehill, good choice of lower grades, gets the sun and flat for your friend. Stoney Wood is just up the road from there too and there are a few nice little routes with a really short walk in. People have already mentioned Horsethief - lots of really easy stuff there too. 

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Not sure I'd say Lawrencefield was easy access for someone with mobility issues. A short walk in but not that easy, unless there's a way I don't know about...

Andy Hardy 14 May 2021
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Without knowing how serious those mobility issues are I suggested it because it's a short walk on a good path to the top of the crag. I guess it would be possible to park below surprise view and walk in along the old incline leading towards the Millstone pub, but then there's a wall to cross and it's a bit further. Another option would be to take the short route to the top and ab in (either to the roadside bay or carefully avoiding the pool!)

Dave Garnett 14 May 2021
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Not sure I'd say Lawrencefield was easy access for someone with mobility issues. A short walk in but not that easy, unless there's a way I don't know about...

I agree, Lawrencefield always surprises me by somehow being further away and more difficult to get to than it should be!

Barmatt 14 May 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Castle Nase (provided you can get parked in the layby) is easy, as is Burbage.  Both less than 5 mins from the car.

Holdtickler 14 May 2021

In addition to the other good suggestions:

Actually some parts of Froggatt can be quite accessible if you take the approach from the roadside parking bay along the good path which leads along the top of the crag from the L hand side as far as where the quarry track leads down to the R hand end of the crag. Flat, well surfaced and lacking stiles but maybe approaching your distance limitations. (presuming the undesirable approach you mentioned was up through the woods from near Chequers pub)

Baslow edge is pretty short and accessible as far as the veiwpoint. A slight incline from the road.

The right hand end of Curbar has a fairly short approach on good paths but is a little uphill till you get to the crag. The path down to the crag base is a little narrow and the hillside quite steep in places. Not sure if there is an easier path down further along near the avalanche wall area.

Shining Cliff is a short flat approach if you park up in the woods near the hostal

Burbage S boulders allow blue badge holders to park through the gate beyond the small (usually full) carpark before the road crosses the river. This is the start of Dukes drive, quite a lot of the boulders are close to this.

Chatsworth is a short approach to the lower parts of the crag on the side of the path. There are some steps however to get down and over the stream and maybe a stile or 2 (can't remember).

Burbage S crag from Fox House is a fairly short flat approach. It does have stiles and uneven surface however.

Obviously the accessibility of all of these are highly relative to each individual. The nature of the descent paths and crag bases are another factor which might affect your choices. Doing a recce could be a good plan if you have any doubts.

Post edited at 15:11
 Holdtickler 14 May 2021
In reply to Holdtickler:

The curbar trackside boulders near the house on the sharp bend down the hill are a very short walk. A drop off here might be advisable as all the parking is up the hill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...