UKC

Failed RCI implications

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimbAddict93 16 May 2023

Hi all, typing this up in a somewhat panicked state. I’m slowly going through the process of gaining climbing qualifications, I’m due to sit my RCDI assessment soon.

I have a major query, a few years ago when I sat my RCI assessment I failed (not a deferral, a straight fail) due to the fact everything I built was overbuilt essentially. I reset three months following and cruised it having practiced consistently.

I'm now at the stage where I’m eyeing up MCI training as well as WML. I really enjoy teaching, I’ve loved it and built a somewhat stable side career doing it. My major concern is my failed RCI and the implications (if any) this will have on my MCI application.

please if anyone has any thoughts or experience that can quell my mind I’d love to hear it

Cheers

Andy Moles 16 May 2023
In reply to ClimbAddict93:

I know people who have failed Guides tests and gone on to become IFMGA Guides. It will not affect your application. The point is that you came back and passed. We're all learning!

C Witter 17 May 2023

You've passed your RCI. That is only going to benefit your application. Donnae fret

ExiledScot 17 May 2023

The fail is irrelevant, we learn and progress, that's what all courses are for, even after a pass we are all still learning regardless of what qualification level you are at. Just get out and climb,  scramble & navigate: the MCI /old MIA training course is arguably the best course in the whole system, like minded trainees, staff with a wealth of experience, all just heading out having fun and learning. 

OP ClimbAddict93 17 May 2023

Thank you all for the sentiments, I really appreciate this community 

toriabobs31 17 May 2023

I think the fact that you're asking suggests you have lots to learn about your own coaching and teaching. We learn from 'failing' if we have a growth mindset. 

I was deferred on a part of my ML. No-one has ever asked but I am not shy to share. It was a weakness in my skill set and that was a fair assessment at the time. 

Good luck with your RCDI. It sounds like you've been busy and jamming lots in. Consolidation time is 🔑 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...