UKC

Free Solo - a review

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 14 Nov 2018

Rex Dangerman of New York Extreme Men’s Fitness Magazine eloquently describes soloing:

For the uninitiated, “free soloing” is a form of solo lead climbing done with only hook-and-toehold installations; the rope might or might not be there to catch you in a fall (it’s your call, brutha—not sure who makes up the rules). You’re not allowed to use pitons in crevasses or pound construction bolts into holds, but if a mountaineer came before you and put them in the rock you can stand on them or even use them to repel back to a ledge and rest before the next “pitch,” which is usually 1,000 feet long.

https://www.climbing.com/people/free-solo-one-mans-quest-for-the-ultimate-a...

Gone for good 14 Nov 2018
In reply to stp:

This had me laughing out loud!!

In one spot, on a horizontal crack called “the Salathé,” Honnold even does an inverted Batman, then proceeds to do 100 upside-down sit-ups while playing a double-necked flame-shooting electric guitar that he must have stashed up there. (At least, I think that’s what happened; could be I’m getting Free Solo and Mad Max: Fury Road mixed up. Maybe I need to stop butt-chugging creatine and Monster Energy drinks for breakfast….) 

Post edited at 22:35
Wiley Coyote2 15 Nov 2018
In reply to stp:

Wow. That is impressive. During the Falklands War I was once given 90 mins to write  a layman's guide to flying a Harrier Jump Jet. I'd like the think it was accurate than that.

Post edited at 11:27
 McHeath 15 Nov 2018
In reply to stp:

Every sentence a winner! "El Cap is even steeper than Mount Everest" ... could we get this guy to lecture at Kendal next year?

@Wiley Coyote - now that's something I'd like to read, is it online anywhere?

smally 15 Nov 2018
In reply to stp:

To be delivered in the style of 'The little girl' from Absolutely .

"It is, Its True !"

cb294 15 Nov 2018
In reply to stp:

Free Riding has killed 90 percent of the people who try it—even its first ascentionist, Warren Harding, eventually died after the climb.

Brilliant!

CB

Wiley Coyote2 15 Nov 2018
In reply to McHeath:

> @Wiley Coyote - now that's something I'd like to read, is it online anywhere?

I sincerely hope not.

AlanLittle 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Yours probably wasn't intended to be satirical though

J Whittaker 15 Nov 2018
In reply to stp:

This has brightened up my day no end.

Can't wait to hit my chin-up wand and up my GainZ for the next bout of epic pebble MMA.

jon 15 Nov 2018
In reply to stp:

Utter brilliance!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...