UKC

Home walls post-covid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 01 Mar 2021

What will happen to the surplus of home walls post covid when people want their garage back.  I'd guess peak wall destruction will occur 2 years downstream once people realise they've not been on it for a year.

Will there be a new mystery layer in the landfill sites for future archaeologists to ponder?

circa 2000 - appearance of a strangle green and pink rubber layer, the 'loom band era', circa 2025, layer of cheap plywood and rotting tee nuts evidence of the climbing wall bubble?

joem 01 Mar 2021
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Given how painfully busy walls were pre-covid I wonder if people might actually find they prefer their home wall, personally I'm hoping to mop up some cheap plywood and holds if people do want their spare rooms back to extend my home wall. I love having a board I can nip on to for 40 mins in P&Q.

combatrock 01 Mar 2021

Will definitely continue to use mine! Love having something so close I can just nip on for quick session and not pay £11.50 for each time. A great stress reliever from work - like to imagine the pinches are client's heads...squeeeeeze...

Sean_J 01 Mar 2021

The crap  walls will go to landfill, or get sold for a few quid on here, (buyer to dismantle of course). The decent home walls will stay in place for a good while I imagine, assuming they don't cause too much domestic upset. Mine will certainly not be moving for a long long time.

Alkis 01 Mar 2021

Mine is in the corner of the garden and well sheltered. When psyche for climbing is high it will be used, when psyche for climbing is now, climbing doesn't happen on or off it, so it will stay. At the very least it's a very handy shelter to sit underneath. :-P

Post edited at 10:27
In reply to Sean_J:

Mine’s coming up to seven years old, has been remodelled a few times and gets used most days. I can’t imagine being without one.

BrendanO 02 Mar 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Wow!! I’ve got friends with flats smaller than that! Lovely!

Qwerty2019 02 Mar 2021

Is that the old Boulder UK?

Qwerty2019 02 Mar 2021

I have one at home.  We built ours based on the theory of regardless of how much money we spend we couldn't build anything to rival our local wall (Eden Rock) 5 mins away.  We could spend £10,000 and still not touch what they can offer.

With that in mind we built a woody board that is trying to be a jack of all trades at the moment with the understanding that the minute the walls open again, it will be another training tool, nothing more or less.

Some of the builds i have seen are like mini house extensions and unless the owner lives too far away from a commercial wall to be able to use them frequently they are going to take a lot of use to justify the loss of space and expense.

Dont get me started on the varnished wooden holds.  Since when did what a climbing hold looked like matter?  I remember walking into Mile End and seeing these type of holds for the first time.  Amazed at their beauty i quickly realized they served no purpose whatsoever other than to cost more.

In reply to BrendanO:

It’s a two storey double garage, so I took out the upstairs floor so I could put in full height system boards and campus board. However, some of those holds, boards and tnuts have been with me through 3 house moves and wall builds over a lot of years

In reply to Qwerty2019:

I can take in Derby’s brilliant Climbing Unit on the way home from work (if I ever stop working from home). From home it’s a 25 min drive to the Climbing Works or a bit longer to The Foundry or Awesome Walls, so not the end of the world. However, there are the many times I can’t be ars*d to drive etc, or fight through the crowds in the Works. So since I finished this one, I use it pretty well daily.

However, Eden Rock is my favourite wall of all time, and it could change all that. It’s on our plans to move north in a couple of years time,

webbo 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Qwerty2019:

> I have one at home.  We built ours based on the theory of regardless of how much money we spend we couldn't build anything to rival our local wall (Eden Rock) 5 mins away.  We could spend £10,000 and still not touch what they can offer.

> With that in mind we built a woody board that is trying to be a jack of all trades at the moment with the understanding that the minute the walls open again, it will be another training tool, nothing more or less.

> Some of the builds i have seen are like mini house extensions and unless the owner lives too far away from a commercial wall to be able to use them frequently they are going to take a lot of use to justify the loss of space and expense.

> Dont get me started on the varnished wooden holds.  Since when did what a climbing hold looked like matter?  I remember walking into Mile End and seeing these type of holds for the first time.  Amazed at their beauty i quickly realized they served no purpose whatsoever other than to cost more.

I guess it depends on whether you want to get strong or pose down the wall.

pec 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Qwerty2019:

> Dont get me started on the varnished wooden holds. 

Perhaps they're training for a route at Stoney Middleton?

Andy Gamisou 03 Mar 2021

Dog uses mine when I can't be arsed.

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

The dog’s like ‘my wall, my rules’

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...