UKC

McNamaras Big Wall graded list

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robw007 12 Aug 2012
Why is Zodiac so low in the list? Ok so its shorter than the Nose/Triple Direct etc - but its only two up from Half Dome and surely the technical aid on Zodiac is pretty serious?
 skygod78 12 Aug 2012
In reply to robw007:
The route that is 2 routes down from it is the 'direct northwest face' which looks quite serious, the normal route on half dome is the regular northwest face which is 8 routes down the list. I've not climbed zodiac but from what i can gather it is an introduction to the harder aid climbs on el cap, and so sits quite high up (easier) on the list.
 Enty 12 Aug 2012
In reply to robw007:

Got a link to the list?

E
OP robw007 13 Aug 2012
In reply to skygod78:

Ok - so not sure which list youre using but mine maybe from an early supertopo - but still the Nose is higher in difficulty.

Surely a serious aid pitch or two ramps up the difficulty more than the route just feeling epic due to its length?
OP robw007 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Enty:

Not digital - just from my supertopo guide.
 alasdair19 13 Aug 2012
In reply to robw007: zodiac was considered a copper head and fixed gear clip up until some nice yanks pulled/smashed/cleaned a huge amount of mank.

It is I suspect now a harder and better route.

Aid climbs change over time and it is short.
OP robw007 13 Aug 2012
In reply to robw007:

Ok - so pitch 14 for example which has a number of bolts shown in Supertopos to protect the pitch now has none?
 steveej 13 Aug 2012
In reply to robw007: correct

after the big clean up, Zodiac is now a lot harder than it was a few years back.

I remember quite a few C3F pitches with absolutely no fixed gear on the pitch. In my mind this is A3 if you hammer or C? if you don't.
 steveej 13 Aug 2012
In reply to steveej:

I think the nose is much easier. Every pitch is C1 which means it goes much faster. Fixing to sickle ledge and spending 2 bivis on the wall is mellow.

Zodiac took me 3 bivis (albeit with no fixing) and the zodiac is half the length of the nose.
OP robw007 13 Aug 2012
In reply to steveej:

Ok - cheers. Not sure I am going to be able to describe the Nose as mellow but we'll give it a go (again).
 steveej 13 Aug 2012
In reply to robw007: you just need to approach it with a 'big walling' mindset rather than a 'brit trad climber cragging mindset'.

If you can lead, clean and haul a pitch in 1.5hours, then anything you can free will be a bonus - but be careful - changing shoes and stripping down the rack and vice versus can waste a lot of time. I would only bother changing from aid to free set up if there was a reasonable block of freeable pitches, otherwise just stick to the aiding setup.

I bivied on Dolt tower and Camp IV. From Cap IV we went straight to the top - thats 10 pitches virtually all on aid in a 15 hour day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...