UKC

Mordor rockfall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Probably old news, but I haven't been into Mordor for 2 years. Went in today, surprised by what appears to be recent (ish) massive rockfall on the wall to the right of and above the tunnel through to the base of lost world. Curious to know when it happened. The remaining rock looks very clean.

SAF 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Colin Scotchford:

Heard a massive rockfall from the view point a couple of weeks ago.  It came from that general direction (but hard to really tell in the quarries), rumbled on for a while but I couldn't see anything, so must have been somewhere tucked away.

Michael Gordon 23 Jul 2020

I heard about this. Think it came down from Mount Doom

Red Rover 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Which is Mount Doom? Anyway the lost world and mordor have been in collapsing in a really big way since the first big rockfall in 2014. Huge rockfalls seem to be an annual event there now.

Tigger 23 Jul 2020

In answered to your question, I think the rockfall was in 2018 though it could have been 2017. It's mentioned in the 2018 Rockfax slate guide I believe.

Lankyman 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> I heard about this. Think it came down from Mount Doom

Oof! I hope The Precious wasn't affected?

In reply to Tigger:

Just had another look in the slate rock fax. I think you might be thinking about the opposite side of Mordor where Maupin Rey went. The area I saw yesterday was the big wall above and the right of the tunnel that takes you to the base of  the lost world. The debris has covered a section of the horseshoe shaped path that leads from the base of the ladders coming down from the khyber pass round to the triple ladders to descend to the base of Mordor. 

There are some big undercut lumps of slate left high on the wall which threaten the path used by Snakes and Ladders if I remember correctly. 

Tigger 23 Jul 2020

Yea, my bad. I think the rockfall i mentioned is actually in 'The Lost World' rather than Mordor.

Red Rover 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Tigger:

They are both collapsing! Lost world more dramatically so far though. The second lost rockfall, which removed all trace of the trees, must have been the biggest rockfall since the quarries were working surely? 

Tigger 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

I'm not sure i think Twl Mawr has seen it's fair share.

Red Rover 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Good point.

The big Tick's Groove Rockfall covered the area you describe a few years ago. Is this something more after that?

In reply to harold walmsley:

That's probably it then. As I said above I haven't been in there for a couple of years and the exposed rock on the wall still looked very fresh to me.

Andy Farnell 25 Jul 2020

Rumour has it a couple of short, curly haired, barefoot ruffians were lurking in the vicinity, intent on chucking things around.

Andy F

Bulls Crack 25 Jul 2020

Better give the BMC a ring

Lankyman 25 Jul 2020
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Better give the BMC a ring

Isn't the Fellowship already looking into this?

Bulls Crack 25 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

One cannot simply walk into Mordor any more 

Tom Last 25 Jul 2020

> That's probably it then. As I said above I haven't been in there for a couple of years ...

Not all those who wander are lost...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...