UKC

oxfordshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bennyrock 12 Jan 2013
Moved to oxfordshire from North yorkshire last year and i am yet to find a decent crag within 50 miles of my house. Where do people in Oxfordshire area climb ?????? cheers for any help. Benny
 smashing1989 12 Jan 2013
In reply to bennyrock:

Oxford brookes climbing wall also the OUMC get out to the peaks and what not quite a few times a term....there is always someone going somewhere!

Where abouts in Oxfordshire are you??
 Jamie Wakeham 12 Jan 2013
In reply to bennyrock:
> ...i am yet to find a decent crag within 50 miles of my house...

I'm afraid there aren't any. Your nearest (depending on your definition of 'decent') is probably Cleeve Hill in Cheltenham.

More info in this thread: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=519244
 papashango 12 Jan 2013
In reply to bennyrock:
> Moved to oxfordshire from North yorkshire last year

Why?!
 rig 23 Jan 2013
In reply to bennyrock:
It depends slightly on where you are based, but the Wye valley is probably the nearest decent climbing. I have done trips to there in the Summer, leaving Oxford about midday and managed a few routes at Symonds Yat before running out of light.

There are also some crags in the Avon/Cheddar area which aren't too far from the M5 and so can be got to for a day trip. If you are willing to put a longer day in, it is possible to get to the Peak or to Swanage/Portland.

I find being a member of a club useful for getting out to the more distant regions. I'm with the Oxford Mountaineering Club ( http://www.oxfordmc.org.uk/ ) and we typically have 2 organised trips a month. Both the Universities also have clubs which accept non-student members (I believe).
tommycoopersghost 25 Jan 2013
In reply to bennyrock:

Agree with earlier post. Castle rock near cheltenham is your best bet. I regularly used to meet oxford climbers there.

Its not a bad wee crag. Short but steep. Quite pumpy, good range of grades. Just take a top rope.

And go on a nice day. It gets very cold and windy up there.

Also, there is some choss further along the scarp. Some good bouldering.

Near stroud, haresfield beacon is worth a few hours entertainment.

Leckhampton hill, and crickley hill offer limited climbing on very very bad rock. I did 11 routes at the former, and i still wake up sweating and crying.

Hope that's helpful

regards
tommycoopersghost 25 Jan 2013
In reply to bennyrock:

Ps all the crags i mentioned are in the current symonds yat guidebook, except for crickley hill (they missed a doozy there!)

good luck
 krikoman 25 Jan 2013
In reply to bennyrock:
> i am yet to find a decent crag within 50 miles of my house. Where do people in Oxfordshire area climb ??????

50 miles away.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...