UKC

Parson's Chimney inside variation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joeramsay 02 Sep 2020

On a recent visit to Almscliffe, we misinterpreted the guidebook description for the start of Parson's Chimney and, instead of chimneying up the corner to the cave, went right inside the claustrophobic slot slightly to the left, which brings you out at the same place but minus a good deal of skin. Both of us are built along similar lines to Stuart Little, and it was right at the limit of what we could squeeze through - there was quite a lot of maneuvering required to get hips and shoulders going through the right bits at the same time. If I'd had more porridge that morning I'd probably still be there. Anyway it was absolutely great craic, except for the part where I thought we were going to have to get cave rescue out (or failing that pour an industrial tin of sunflower oil down there to ease my passing).

I couldn't find anything about anyone having done this in the logs, and I was idly wondering whether anyone else had done the same thing. It's a definite recommendation from me!

In reply to joeramsay:

Never heard of that being done and I use to live at Almscliffe when I were a lad - in fact, I never even noticed it as a possibility. I'd check with Dave Musgrove. What grade would it be - the catch all Hard Severe or Cave Grade 5?

Tom Green 05 Sep 2020
In reply to joeramsay:

Sounds superb! Great work mate!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...