UKC

Sardinia Guide....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 12 Mar 2019

Afternoon,

Is there any alternative to buying this guide which is priced at an eye watering £49.50? Online topos, apps, that sorta of thing. Just getting the locations and going to the crags and doing it all by eye...

Anyone got one to sell or swap? Hell, i'll even pay a deposit and rent it off you . Or perhaps we could organise a group buy of like minded folk who are heading over there this spring.

Yes I am aware that guidebooks cost a lot to produce but even still, £49.50 is a bit much.

Ta,
Simon

Iamgregp 12 Mar 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

Yeah it's really expensive isn't it?!  

We went last year and I didn't manage to find any alternative, which is annoying as it's dated, badly translated, sometimes difficult to follow the directions to find the crags, and if you want to go climbing in the Canyon at Ulaassai (which I really recommend) you'll need to buy another guide: http://www.climbingulassai.com/guidebook-2/ 

Worked for us though, we had a great time and will definitely be going back at some point - can't lend you ours unfortunately, but good luck, I'm sure you'll have an awesome time! 

OP snoop6060 12 Mar 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Might just get that 10€ guide and stick to the canyon. I have read the 50quid guide and it's absolutely bobbins. Not sure I can do it. I'd rather just get the approaches and climb by eye. Normally results in me vastly overestimating my own ability and loosing gear this

Iamgregp 12 Mar 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

Fair enough, you'll be grand then!  The little Ulassai guide has enough to keep you going a while...

The other guide really needs replacing, it's bloody infuriating.  One thing to be aware of in Sardinia is that on some crags the guide might have "Nuts useful" or "Nuts" in the description so if you climb trad take some along...  If you don't, just prepare yourself for some big 'ole run outs at some of the older crags. 

nicholsonharry 12 Mar 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

If you are climbing around Cala Gonone there is the guide 'Arampicare a Cala Gonone' which is a bit cheaper and was fine while we were there. https://rockrun.com/products/arrampicare-a-cala-gonone . There was also a climbing shop in the town; we didn't look for a guide/topos in there but I would be surprised if they didn't have some.

Marmolata 12 Mar 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

I recently bought a so called climbing map for much less. It only. Covers a certain region of course. 

John Cuthbert 12 Mar 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

Where are you based Simon?

I could always lend you my copy...

John C

Stairclimber 12 Mar 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

Free info for new (not very interesting) single pitch routes near the car park and better single pitch routes and three 4 pitch routes that are just above the sea is available in the restaurant at the car park at Pedra Longa near Baunei on East coast. Lovely setting. Public footpath easy approach. Great swimming. Possible to descend from mp routes by walking/scrambling. Grades suit 6a/6b climbers. Lots more older routes nearby of all grades in the expensive topo, but Ulassai topo just for the village is sold in the village (lots of climbing) for about 10 euros I think.

OP snoop6060 12 Mar 2019
In reply to John Cuthbert:

Thanks John. Live in Nottinghan tho I work in Sheffield. Kind of you to offer either way. 

Toerag 12 Mar 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

There is / was a number of topos online - 27 crags? and a sardinian website. Some great-looking multipitch down in the SW.

If you stay at the Lemon house they'll probably lend you guides, the previous owners used to.

Iamgregp 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Toerag:

Yeah they've still got guides there, Ricky lent us the Ulassai guide last year...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...