UKC

Swanage caterpillars (are they out?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 trythis 02 Jun 2017
Are the hairy caterpillars out at boulder ruckle this year? Have a partner who always suffers from these sort of things and don't want to end up in the doghouse if we head there for the weekend.
 JIMBO 02 Jun 2017
In reply to trythis:

I've seen them on Portland...
 IPPurewater 02 Jun 2017
In reply to JIMBO:

Calamine lotion is the antidote !
 David Barlow 02 Jun 2017
In reply to IPPurewater:

They were out 2 weeks ago...
 LucaC 03 Jun 2017
In reply to David Barlow:

None to be seen yesterday.
 Fakey Rocks 03 Jun 2017
In reply to trythis:
?
Any chance of a bit more info please?

Is it ... Eeek! take! there's a (spider/ mouse / rat / bat / slug/ a hairy caterpillar / lizzard/ snake / fish, on the next crimp / jug, and i'm terrified! Abandon route!

... are we all prey if we go there? Do they bite / sting / tickle / shoot things at us / jump on us /fall on us + go down yr vest or tangle in yr hair?
Are some people dangerously allergic to them?

Is it just one kind of caterpillar?
What do they look like?
How quick do they move?
Do they live on the crag, or fall down from veg up the top?

Are they a protected species?
 JIMBO 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

One particular hairy caterpillar that crawls into clothes and over ropes. The hairs are reactive to skin and can cause very nasty rashes. The worst I've had is a hair in the eye (rubbed off by accident when rope handling) and it made my eyeball blister to the point I was temporarily blind.
 Fakey Rocks 03 Jun 2017
In reply to JIMBO:
Cheers Jimbo
Wonder y the dislikes on this thread?!

Is it the oak processionary moth's caterpillar?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/666578/caterpillar...

There's also the brown tail moth caterpillar, can cause allergic reactions from its hairs.
Post edited at 13:03
 Fakey Rocks 03 Jun 2017
In reply to IPPurewater:

Thought the antidote might have at least got a like from the disliker!
 Fakey Rocks 03 Jun 2017
 Jenny C 03 Jun 2017
In reply to trythis:

Vapour moth caterpillars are the ones that I'm allergic to.
 oldie 03 Jun 2017
In reply to trythis:

As others have said it sounds like the brown tail moth caterpillar. About 10-15 years ago at Swanage I remember when there were thousands over the paths, at the top of the cliffs and falling down the face and on the starting ledges. Never seen it that bad before or since. There were no leaves left on the blackthorn along the top.
Incidentally I assume the Dislikes are by the squeamish and not about the replies themselves!
OP trythis 03 Jun 2017
In reply to trythis:

Cheers all.
 Fakey Rocks 19 Jun 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

https://owlcation.com/stem/vapourer-moth

Can't honestly say i think they look pretty, ... more weird + funky. Like they are going to a party!
 SenzuBean 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

> How quick do they move?
Surprisingly fast

> Do they live on the crag, or fall down from veg up the top?
They do fall down from the top. But actually (in my limited experience) - they got you when you were belaying at the top. They could smell you (or something) and dozens would crawl towards you, over your ropes, up your back, on your legs, etc.
 Fakey Rocks 20 Jun 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

Crikes! Kind of trapped whilst belaying then, although i suppose you could tie off the rope and tell the 2nd you'll pop back later, or would they start heading down the rope to the seconds tie in point etc, and also be waiting for you knowing you have to come back?
Are they likely to be waiting for us at Portland too yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...