UKC

/ UK sport climbing in winter season

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
L Ula S. on 07 Feb 2018

Hello,

I am looking for good spots in UK for sport climbing in winter ( places all year round good for climbing),ie: sheltered or relatively dry.

any recommendations /suggestions preferably England.

thank you for your tips,

Ula

GridNorth - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

Wyndcliff Quarry and Brean Down are both sun traps.  I've climbed at both in January in just a teeshirt.

Al

Ciro - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

+1 for Brean Down, a great wee winter venue. Some sun traps down on Portland too, or there were anyway if they haven't collapsed?

South coast of Wales is also worth exploring.

flaneur - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

Depends where you're based. If it's southern England as above. Brean, some bits Cheddar (Easter Island, Sunnyside terrace - other areas can be Siberian), Cuttings at Portland, and the Swanage quarries can all be good. All S to W facing.

Pay close attention to the weather forecast: air temperature is rarely the limiting factor, direct sun is critical, and the wind direction should be blowing over the top of the crag not towards it or along it.

L Ula S. on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

Thank you everyone! Very much appreciate it!!! happy and safe climbing

Ian Bell - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

Tirpentwys is good in South Wales

Tirpentwys

stp - on 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.:

I believe Portland <i>can</i> be pretty good in winter having it's own microclimate. I've climbed at nearby Swanage on Boxing Day one year and I ended up in just a vest and shorts it was so warm.

Ramon Marin - on 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Ula S.

Brean Down and sometimes The Cuttings. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.