UKC

Windmore End, current access status

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Route Adjuster 26 May 2023

Does anyone have any up to date access information for Windmore End, the left hand section. The 2012 guidebook says that climbing is currently banned on that section, the crag info on here was last updated in 2008. Any updates would be appreciated.

In reply to Route Adjuster:

As far as I'm aware, the local parish own it, and they are still not keen for anyone to climb on it. May be worth emailing Ron Kenyon to see if there has been any progress.

Removed User 26 May 2023
In reply to Andy Ovens - UKC and UKH:

If the parish own it - is it not effectively public land?

In reply to Removed User:

Not sure on that one. All I know is the Parish Council own it, and despite any accidents, don't want any perceived liability. 

The far wall onwards is CRoW, and the Windmore Green cottage (as far as I'm aware) still permit climbing on their section (Second wall)

Boy Global Crag Moderator 26 May 2023
In reply to Route Adjuster:

The best way for them to reduce/remove liability would be to designate the site as CRoW land.

Lankyman 27 May 2023
In reply to Boy:

> The best way for them to reduce/remove liability would be to designate the site as CRoW land.

I haven't been for years but I think the rightmost sections are on CRoW land. Why the other sections aren't is beyond me as they are all pretty much identical ground. Hopefully, with a change of government the situation will change. Out in Bowland yesterday we could see two nice hills (Mellor Knoll and Middle Knoll) which are officially out of bounds. Both are unimproved moorland pasture of no particular agricultural importance. The situation is a vast improvement on the previous state but still nowhere near great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...