UKC

Baby running buggies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 18 Apr 2020

Contemplating getting a baby running buggy as my wife is considering going running and I’d love to go with her but we can’t leave our 13 month old with anyone at the moment! 

has anyone got any experience of them they could share? Are they good? Do babies like them? Any product recommendations? Have I left it too late with a 13 month old or will be still be in a buggy for a while longer? i suppose he won’t be running 5ks with us any time soon haha! 

thanks 

Wee Davie 18 Apr 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

Hi 

We've had one of these for the last few years-

https://www.kiddies-kingdom.com/pushchairs-strollers-buggies/24527-out-n-ab...

They are brilliant. I have run hundreds of miles pushing my sons when they were infants and young toddlers. The boys really enjoyed being in it too. have done a few of the Glasgow Men's 10ks pushing the pram.

We will be selling ours soon as the kids are bigger now. 

Post edited at 09:54
 Jesus 18 Apr 2020

This guy used a Thule glide (I think). They are expensive though.

https://gearjunkie.com/pete-kostelnick-alaska-florida-k2k-run

stuartf 18 Apr 2020
In reply to Wee Davie:

Also use a nipper sport, ours would tolerate up to about 10km but have friends who go further! It's ok on forest roads too (sometimes use it at our local parkrun) and will probably last them up to about 3-4 years. Definitely haven't left it too late!

We also have a Croozer for 2 bike trailer that converts into a double running buggy which still works for both of ours (4.5 and 1.5 respectively) but is hard work on the hills!

wbo2 18 Apr 2020
In reply to elliot.baker: I tried one but my children didn't like it so I just used the normal pram.  As long as its get a decent chassis and wheels - it won't be light, but it works.

( I tried a babyjogger)

GDes 18 Apr 2020

We have a mountain buggy, which has been great. Apart from punctures after the hedgerows have been cut. Carry a spare tube and a pump! Or even better get something with solid tyres. 

Out daughter sleeps like a log in it, it goes completely flat which helps. She'll sleep up to a couple of hours, and tolerant about half an hour of it while she's awake. 

Prepare for a pretty fierce workout if you are on a hilly run. It'll get you very fit and strong! 

Roadrunner6 20 Apr 2020
In reply to wbo2:

I had a Bob Revolution my daughter liked but only for 40 minutes. Nice enough for rail trail runs. I’m not sure Id want to run quick, 8:30-10 min miles were more normal.

she loved our hiking pack too.

Post edited at 15:23
Roadrunner6 20 Apr 2020

Re them liking them. Some do some don’t. Most seem to be ok for 25-40 minutes. Some hate them.

13 months is pretty safe as they’ll have good beck strength. 

can you borrow one? I’m looking for a double now. Ours could do trails but anything remotely rough was too slow and jarred her, so I tended to do hard 30 minute hikes with her in my pack.

Michael Hood 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Many years ago, I amongst many others, were overtaken by a guy pushing his kid in a buggy in a half marathon. Since I finished in 1:31 and could no longer see them ahead, I presume they finished in well under 1:30.

And the worst thing about it was that the overtaking happened on the biggest hill (up) on the course 😥

GDes 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

Mechanical doping? Or jumping aboard for the downhills.

vscott 20 Apr 2020

Nipper sport v4 here to - they're a reasonable compromise between performance and cost (plus often available 2nd hand) and can handle surprisingly rough terrain - limiting factor, excepting steep steps, is really trail width - but they're narrower than most of the bike trailer/running buggy combined models. the height adjustable handle is useful if charing pushing duties.

However they do have various niggles mostly due to plastic being used for most of the mouldings -  parking brake breaks easily, hand foam grip wears out fast, front wheel brake can rub + tricky to get front wheel aligned (often have a slight left/right) pull, and front brake and narrow gap between tyre and plastic footplate combine to accumulate all manner of mud and vegetation. Warranty ok/spares easy enough to get. 

Overall generally pleased with and use loads. 

Roadrunner6 20 Apr 2020

I had a friend who would run 6:30-7:00 min miles with his, I just never could. 

I just bought a Bob Ironman Twin Stroller today, second hand, so will be selling my Bob Revolution. Totally worth it for sanity more than training benefit I found. 30-40 minute run, the dog got a work out, I got a run in, she maybe slept for a bit.

I

Wee Davie 27 Apr 2020

I was never very fast when I used to road run. Managed 10k in 52 mins pushing my offspring (pram- free  pb 44 min). I know of good runners doing 10k in the 30’s pushing one though. 

Post edited at 20:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...