UKC

Battered and Bruised feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Levy_danny 13 Apr 2022

Hi All,

Sorry about the pretty grim subject matter. 

My feet aren't  in great shape after running Manchester marathon and then a trail race last Sunday. My big toes are bruised under the nail and black. It seems very tender around the cuticle on each big toe  to the point where I thought they were infected and got a few blisters. 

I did a salt  water soak last night and I'm going to lay off the running for a few days. I've also booked an appointment with a chiropodist next week but just wondering if any one has any tips or hints. I'm trying to get them as good as possible before Yorkshire three peaks at the end of this month.

Cheers

Dan

tony 13 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

If my experience is anything to go by, they'll get trashed on the Y3P. I'd back off the training and bin any race plans. You won't lose any significant fitness between now and race day. Slather them with vaseline on race day (and maybe even on training runs) and wear really comfy shoes with lots of space as much as possible.

bouldery bits 13 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

Let them breathe! Flip flops where possible. 

dread-i 13 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

You're not considered a proper fell runner unless you've lost a few toenails...

Having said that, it sounds like your shoes are too small or loose, and your foot is hitting the end. Take the insole out of your shoe. Put your foot on it and see where your toes come to. If you've got space, then see if your foot moves around, especially on downhills.

OP Levy_danny 13 Apr 2022
In reply to dread-i:

I'll check, I think possibly a bit big. 

I've lost a few toe nails before and to be honest I wish these would just drop off haha. It's the soreness around the cuticle area that's  really painful not the blisters or bruised toe nails (although I assume this could well be related.) 

Thanks for the tips everyone I'm not in the office much over the next week so I'll be wearing sandals as much as I possibly can. 

Dan 

thelostjockey 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

On a slightly different note, you could try to get some toe and even corn protectors. You can get them on the Simply Feet website and elsewhere. They are silicon and durable and not too expensive. It might help during this difficult time. Good luck. See you at the Three Peaks race. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...