UKC

Hamstring injury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Troon 30 Mar 2022

3weeks ago running I kicked a root giving  me a grade 2 hamstring pull,tear. At the moment I can't run more than a few meters, some strength is beginning to  return. Also just started physo program. 

My  question is this on 2nd of July I have a race booked, half marathon up Cadair Idris. It's to be hoped that I can start my training around 12 weeks out which week 1 is 10 April around 18 miles total. Before injury my average was around 27 to 30 miles a week. My reason for the post is to get some feedback from others who may have had similar issues and how they managed to get back  on track without re-injury. I know everyone is different, and I may be  just looking for comfort .

Thanks Paul 
 SouthernSteve 30 Mar 2022
In reply to Paul Troon:

Possible I think, but tight on time. What do I know? I would see a physio. Steve

Herdwickmatt 30 Mar 2022
In reply to SouthernSteve:

As SS said, get to a physio preferably one with a back ground in running

mountainbagger 30 Mar 2022
In reply to Paul Troon:

Ah that's unlucky. I'm pretty sure you will be able to run a half marathon by then, if you let it heal and follow a good physio's advice. Will you be at your best? Probably not.

So, if you're just aiming to turn up and get round (e.g. slowly or run/walk), then I'd be hopeful some good physio will get you to the start line. If you're aiming to beat your PB or push yourself as hard as you can, then maybe forget about that!

Note that my experience of this kind of thing is a tiny calf tear (like someone shot me in the leg) not grade 2 hamstring tear. It really depends on the extent of your injury, but I wouldn't write yourself off yet...see how the physio goes. Good luck!

Tom Briggs 31 Mar 2022
In reply to Paul Troon:

I’ve torn both hamstrings bouldering. The first time before I was into running and the second one running on it meant it healed incredibly quickly. The tear was bad enough that I could barely walk down from the crag, but I started ‘running’ on it (very carefully) 9 days later. A month after I’d done it I ran half an Edale Skyline (20km) without any issues.

I think if you rest too long the scar tissue builds up and can give you years of problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...