UKC

Hip Pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Well, it's the inevitable new injury. 

Been running well for a while, steadily upping the miles and not going mad but a niggle has turned into something a bit more painful. Im not training for anything, just the satisfaction of seeing the miles  tot up and the enjoyment of running in fresher conditions.

This time it's at the hip. Outside. My only guess is ITB or more likely bursitis at the greater trochanter.

I'll ask here if anyone else has some remedy, short and long term, but I suspect the answer will be ice and rest with some NSAIDs.

Once upon a time I would be hugely frustrated right now but I just have to sigh and accept that running has an impact on my aging body.

Post edited at 07:20
 Ridge 30 Sep 2020
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Sorry to hear that. Could be any number of things, which doesn't really help.

I occasionally get outer hip pain, (and pain everywhere else), but I find doing lots of stretching, (particularly quads, glutes, periformis) and also core strengthening exercises seems to keep things under control.

Dead boring and hard to stick to, (easy to stop when everythings ok), but seems to work for me.

Nic Barber 30 Sep 2020

Possibly hip flexor.

Some stretching (pigeon pose) may relieve it, and strengthening exercises (core, glutes and legs - remember everything is a chain and so much can be traced up/dwon to the glutes) would hopeflly see it make some progress

HB1 30 Sep 2020

I don't know how old you are, but I've checked back to see when I first noted hip pain after running - 4 years before hip replacement. It had steadily increased. I'm still running 3 years after. I am old, but love to run (as I'm sure you do) Just a thought . . .

Sounds from the info you have given that it is trochanteric bursitis.

NSAID, stretches, reduce runs then rebuild. 

echo34 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Nic Barber:

Sounds like hip flexor, the sack of fluid can become inflamed if building up the miles too soon. Try dialling it back for a few weeks

Swig 30 Sep 2020

I've been getting some physio recently for a sore hip. The physio says they've had a few more people coming through with problems related to sitting down more. My personal hip pain seems to be rooted in lower back inflexiblity - it hurts when I lift my knee towards my chest. I left it for a fair time (lockdown) and relevant muscle has got used to a smaller range of motion and is now being painfully re-educated. I assumed age, wear and tear, but actually it's a fairly quick fix (once I finally got round to seeing someone about it!)

Hidden 30 Sep 2020
In reply to Swig:

What was your fix?

I too am suffering with a sore hip at the mo.

In reply to HB1:

> I don't know how old you are, but I've checked back to see when I first noted hip pain after running - 4 years before hip replacement. It had steadily increased. I'm still running 3 years after. I am old, but love to run (as I'm sure you do) Just a thought . . .

Almost 45

oldie 01 Oct 2020

> Almost 45  <

Call that old 

Swig 01 Oct 2020
In reply to Hidden:

My hip doesn't click, give way or send tingling or shooting pains up and down my body. As I understood this means not to worry just now about more serious long term problems. 

The fix is/was a combination of getting the range of motion back in (with a bit of pain) and massage/manipulation of the lower back and around the hip flexor, some releasing of trigger points and some exercises to do. 

HB1 01 Oct 2020

> Almost 45

It's probably not time for a replacement then, but bear it in mind 20/30 years hence! Hope you keep on running!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...