UKC

I had held out hope ....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SouthernSteve 05 Sep 2020

LIAD was cancelled yesterday. The last remaining ultra place I had for 2020. I feel the incentive to train may have just taken a nose dive. I have done one virtual race which didn't hit the spot. Sadly I had to make a choice between this and another race that was moved and is now full, adding to the annoyance of it all. How are others managing this (apart from red wine)?

DaveHK 05 Sep 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

OMM seem pretty confident it's going ahead. Still some places I think...

Personally I've gone back to climbing this year after a few years focusing on running. 

girlymonkey 05 Sep 2020

I'm not at all competitive, so don't know if this will hit the spot for you or not. I have a distance per week to run, and try to find all the unusual routes in the area. I try to link random glens and hills by the less travelled routes and in the process I find some proper wee gems. Why not set a target of a certain number of km on ground which you have never covered before? See it as a year for exploring?

Herdwickmatt 05 Sep 2020

Once all the mountain marathons were cancelled I decided to turn my attention to the BGR. I’m taking a long view of it, and going to really invest time learning the route.  I’ve not decided whether to run it solo or with pacers but want to be strong (physically and mentally) tgat they are both options. 

Also after 3months of having a drink every night I’m cutting down and aiming to drop 3/4 of a stone to be nearer “race weight” without ending up looking emaciated like many distance runners.

Maybe try mixing up activities? Different types of running? The Saunders are offering a MapRun race in the Howgills? Buy a bike and go for a weekend bikepacking? Try long distance walking route? Maybe even try swimming? I think it’s a great time to try new stuff when the emphasis to train isn’t quite there

wbo2 05 Sep 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve: Find another target, which won't be an actual race.  I've done a lot of bouldering.

Any weakness you've alwats shied away from? 5K, 10k training.

Where in the south are you? Obviously anything can happen, but it's very soon  the start of cross country season

OP SouthernSteve 05 Sep 2020
In reply to girlymonkey and others:

Thanks for your replies:

I don't think I am that competitive (I am a pretty slow runner ) so I think it is the focus that the event gives, both in terms of targets for training and just being a holiday. Work has been rather more than full time since March. We are in the midlands and during lockdown I have been more nettled and brambled than ever looking at new paths and routes and that has been a good distraction and has opened up some great circuits from home. 

A target like the BGR or the Wainwrights (always in chunks) would be great, but probably too anti-social for the family, although the list-ticking part of my brain loves such things. I may set a date and redo the Welsh 1000's before the winter comes in as those are my mountain 'home', albeit a little neglected recently and always bring solace.

Cross-country is an idea I had not considered, although I think I might need to renew my EA membership for that. I will look at the local leagues. I certainly could improve my strength training and flexibility so that could be an additional goal. 

I did consider getting a bike as it would be something new and OK for cross-training, but that seems a step too far. Previously I have done lots of commuting cycling and not much fun cycling so it would be quite different.

Once I have a plan I will be fine and I must stay fit as the number of bumped races for 2021 is pretty full on. 

Post edited at 10:41
 steveriley 05 Sep 2020

We’ve had a few notrun and virtual challenges locally I’ve not really got into. The absolute favourite was the ‘how much ascent can you do in 10k without repeating yourself’. That really brought out some creativity in route choices. Funnily enough I’ve not missed racing that much, it’s given me the get out I needed struggling to balance climbing and running in recent years. I’ll be all over the xc in winter though, pure racing and no faff over times. Lockdown has been good for my bouldering and getting back to where I was 20y ago, before getting into running. I can get a good trail fix locally several times a week without it feeling like work, and I seem to be getting a bit quicker by stealth.

Roadrunner6 05 Sep 2020

fKts and classic mountain runs I've wanted to do.

greg_may_ 05 Sep 2020

Cheviot Goat still has entries

I lost a lot of motivation earlier in the year when all MMs and orienteering races we're cancelled. A whole year plan gone. So I spent the time I had going very local. Ran everything I know, and a lot I didn't in our valley. Put together a few local selfie-score event and two rounds. Then when it was safe to do so, spent time reccying the Paddy Buckley again. Then back out bouldering. 

Orienteering has started again, but on a very small scale. Hoping the OMM will still go ahead. If it does I should be in ok shape. Back in School on Monday, so that'll probably scupper everything at some point! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...