UKC

Lakeland 50/100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 09 Jul 2021

Is anyone running the Lakeland 50/100 this month? If so how’s everyone feeling about it? It will be good to run the course again, it’s been a few years since I last did it. Training hasn’t gone too well over the lasts two months with a bit of an Achilles issue but I just intend to finish rather than get a good time, it always seems like such a good atmosphere! So who else is running? 

ale1 09 Jul 2021
In reply to echo34:

I am doing the 50 for the first time! Aiming just to finish and to have fun as well, just nice for events to be back! 

goose299 09 Jul 2021
In reply to echo34:

Doing the 50

Training has tapered off as the heat’s rose in the past few weeks and this week, it’s been pretty much non-existent. 
I’ve barely reccee’d the course and only ran from Amble to Coniston the once  

Are you doing the 50 or the 100?

OP echo34 09 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

I’m doing the 50 again, the first time I did it I had done no recce or even run in the lakes before 😂 but it was fine, the course is really nice and everyone is friendly.

I really enjoy the part that goes through Ambleside. 

i think I’ve done more training than last time, so will see how it goes. 

In reply to echo34:

I'm doing the 100 again this year.

Finished twice from 4 starts so far, although never failed to make it to Ambleside.

I've done very little training all year so I'm feeling pretty philosophical about it.  I'm just going to do my best and try to enjoy it.

Done a couple of Trail 26s in the last couple of months (and not much else!) and been a lot slower than in the past so a little worried about timing out.

I'll find out soon...

In reply to bentley's biceps:

Well, amazingly I finished. It was very hot and i was very pleased to get round in one piece!

OP echo34 26 Jul 2021
In reply to bentley's biceps:

Nice one 👍 

the heat made it a lot harder, it seemed a lot busier this time too. Great event as ever though. I really enjoy the Ambleside section, always an amazing atmosphere! 

Dark-Cloud 26 Jul 2021
In reply to echo34:

You noticed that too? So many more people on the course than I remember last time, especially toward the end.

drdjpower 26 Jul 2021
In reply to echo34:

Well done for getting round in that heat. It's a lovely event, I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

"more people" and "a lot busier"? You guys just run too fast. Ambleside was eerily silent by the time I got there, in contrast to the spectacular pre-dawn snoring coming from Base Brown campsite as we shuffled past - I was fearful of major rockfall.

OP echo34 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yeah, last time I did it everyone fit on the school field. It was a lot more spread out towards the end too, although navigating was easier this time 😂

Dark-Cloud 27 Jul 2021
In reply to drdjpower:

> in contrast to the spectacular pre-dawn snoring coming from Base Brown campsite as we shuffled past - I was fearful of major rockfall.

LOL, i heard that too at about midnight, i also saw a couple of people setting up a "wild" camp 1m off the side of the path just near Oak Howe after the checkpoint, can't imagine they got much sleep...

neuromancer 28 Jul 2021
In reply to echo34:

To those that ran it, could you have got your kit into a 5L vest or is a bigger 10+ one mandatory? 

drdjpower 28 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I had a 10L (Montane Via Jaws 10, old) which was fine but I couldn't have managed with anything much smaller. You now need a non-collapsible cup; for me that needs a mesh pocket to itself to have it accessible, not dangling around, and not cacking up your other kit. I was on the 100. Not many people had smaller vests, but then I was firmly at the back so missed the elite runners.

Lots of people in the 50 had generous 20L+ rucksacks full of treats and clothes. At first I eyed these with derision, but actually it makes sense if you're mostly walking - it's all about being confident. Lots of people also had (race vest + bumbag); for me this seems sweaty and faffy and heavy, but it clearly works for some people.

OP echo34 28 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I saw a few people with 5L vests. I tried one prior to the event and did get all the mandatory kit in but it was a tight fit.

I went with the Sense Pro 10 which worked really well, I had extra capacity for a warm layer which I took out in the end. I had loads of food that I didn’t use as well so maybe a 5 would work 🤔 depends on the weather I suppose

Dark-Cloud 28 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I got mine in a 12L Salomon vest, i reckon i could have got it all in an 8 by taking a few non mandatory bits out and most of the food i carried and didn't eat, I think a 5 would be a bit tight but doable with lightweight kit.

neuromancer 29 Jul 2021
In reply to echo34:

Thanks all!

(The Salomon 5 was on offer for about half the price of the 12 and I couldn't get on with the lower sternum strap of the Montane gecko - felt like I was being suffocated). Mostly be for Lakeland running and Bob recces!

OP echo34 30 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

You could go half way and get a Sense Ultra 8. I found it comes up quite high on the neck which did rub a bit when not loaded though . The Pro is very good.

In reply to echo34:

I’ve always used a Salomon Sense Ultra 8 for the 100 and never struggle to fit everything in. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...