UKC

Muscle compression sleeves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 09 Nov 2023

Wasn't sure to put this in cycling or running, but probably runners are more in to clothing. 

What do people think about compression sleeves, calf, quads etc 

Not useful, ok for recovery, ok for active exercise?

I've used calf compression sleeves and socks in the past four ultra runs, not sure that help or not, was wondering about the quad sleeve for cycling and maybe road running.

echo34 09 Nov 2023
In reply to The Potato:

I used to use calf sleeves for running a long time ago. I don’t think they actually do much. I suspect you’ll need substantially more compression than you can get from the fabric to achieve a meaningful effect

MisterPiggy 10 Nov 2023
In reply to The Potato:

In the winter I use a pair of my dad's old compression socks with the feet cut off. The 'calf tube' is really tight but when running, it reduces the jiggling around of the muscle as I run - on uneven, muddy tracks in a forest. Very comfortable feeling. Not sure what physical benefit there is, but I like the jiggle free run and the warmth.

How tight/effective they are compared to commercial compression socks for runners, I couldn't say.

steelbru 10 Nov 2023
In reply to The Potato:

I like using the sleeves, but for temperature regulation rather than compression.

They're great if it's a chilly start to a run, but you know it's going to heat up later, as you can just roll them down around your wrist, or take off altogether and stash in a vest pocket. 

Post edited at 11:08
 Marek 10 Nov 2023
In reply to The Potato:

I used calf compression sleeves in hilly ultras and found them to be quite effective in reducing the tendency for calf cramp particularly after a long climb followed by a fast downhill section. I was inspire to try something after one particular event when I came over the top of a hill, started bombing down the other side, got bad cramp in one leg, started hopping (going too fast to stop), got cramp in the other one and face-planted/rolled/swore.

nufkin 10 Nov 2023
In reply to MisterPiggy:

>   I like the jiggle free run

I deploy something similar on my top half

OP The Potato 10 Nov 2023
In reply to steelbru:

Are you talking about arm warmers?

> I like using the sleeves, but for temperature regulation rather than compression.

> They're great if it's a chilly start to a run, but you know it's going to heat up later, as you can just roll them down around your wrist, or take off altogether and stash in a vest pocket. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...