UKC

Old county tops, poles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GDes 26 Jan 2024

Evening, 

I've asked this question via email to the race organiser but haven't heard back yet, and I can't figure out a definitive answer from FRA rules. 

So for the old county tops race, are poles allowed? 

Thanks if you know! 

Ged 

plyometrics 26 Jan 2024
In reply to GDes:

Some people used poles last year.

Never seen any rules to the contrary on that race. 

OP GDes 26 Jan 2024
In reply to plyometrics:

Thanks for that

DaveHK 26 Jan 2024
In reply to plyometrics:

> Some people used poles last year.

> Never seen any rules to the contrary on that race. 

Definitely still worth checking, I did a race where I checked the rules on their website, saw other runners with poles at the start then got disqualified for pole use!

Doghouse 27 Jan 2024
In reply to GDes:

I'm pretty sure poles are banned from all FRA races however the only thing I can find on the FRA website is in the FAQ's - see below.  I'd definitely  check with the RO.

Q: Can I use poles?

In 2021, this is at the discretion of the Race Organiser (RO). Please check the specific rules for your race.

The FRA has received requests from many runners and ROs to ban poles in FRA races; this rule will be therefore reviewed for 2022.

OP GDes 28 Jan 2024
In reply to Doghouse:

Yes that's what I'd found, and have emailed RO, but no response. I'll try again. 

steveriley 28 Jan 2024
In reply to GDes:

I’m going to say a cautious ‘yes’, I seem to remember a couple of people using them when I did it a few years ago and there’s pics from 2023 on their Facebook pages. I’m not a lawyer though. It’ll be one of the prouder t-shirts you’ll earn, enjoy 😀

OP GDes 28 Jan 2024
In reply to steveriley:

Thanks Steve. 

Looking forward to it. Currently trying to find some big enough hills in Devon to train on... 

plyometrics 28 Jan 2024
In reply to steveriley:

> It’ll be one of the prouder t-shirts you’ll earn, enjoy 😀

Agreed. It’s one of the best in business. Cotton and same design every year. The only trepidation being what colour-way they go with!

Brass Nipples 28 Jan 2024
In reply to GDes:

Thought this would be the old stakes that used to run along county borders up on the hills.

stuartf 28 Jan 2024
In reply to GDes:

From experience training in Devon, none of the hills are consistently steep/long enough to replicate mountains properly. The best I found is repeated laps of the hills either side of salcombe mouth, going right down to the beach each time. If that gets too boring then that whole section of coast path between ladram bay and beer is ok, but in order to make anything close to the right amount of ascent per km you need to turn around and repeat each hill every time you get to the top or bottom.

OP GDes 30 Jan 2024

In case anyone wants to know the answer, RO replied to say a definitive no to poles. 

plyometrics 30 Jan 2024
In reply to GDes:

Good update. Last year was the first time I’d seen them on the course having last done it 2019, but there were quite a few folk using them from memory. 

Enjoy anyway, it’s a real experience; poles or not. 

tjhare1 02 Feb 2024
In reply to GDes:

Yes, the FRA policy was clarified on 20 Jan and is now:

• Use of poles prohibited in all S, M and L category FRA licenced races
  • For O and MM category races it is at the discretion of race organisers
In reply to GDes:

Have you got any other races in mind this year? Hopefully bump into you at one sometime throughout 2024. 

OP GDes 02 Feb 2024
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

That's the only up north probably, but a few in mind down here. Are you doing the county tops? 

In reply to GDes:

> That's the only up north probably, but a few in mind down here. Are you doing the county tops? 

Sadly not, I had considered it, but it was going to be a bit much fitting it in amongst the Champs Races I've already committed to. Plan is to do it next year though, alongside a few of the Lakeland Classics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...