UKC

Please recommend a running shoe to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Beaton 06 Mar 2022

I'm not a serious runner but I have quite odd shaped feet so I am both very fussy and quite ignorant about footwear. The Hoka atr challenger 5 in a wide fitting has been far and away the best shoe I have used but they don't seem to be made any more. Can anyone recommend something as similar as possible to that shoe? Cheers

SouthernSteve 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I would go to a decent shop in person if you can. The HOKA is not a shoe I know so don’t know any direct replacements. 

Garethza 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Just get the new challenger (#6) I believe.. should be the same no?

wbo2 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:  What did you like about it?

But go to a shop. Save you a ton of guessing

OP Sam Beaton 06 Mar 2022
In reply to wbo2:

Narrow heels and wide at the front. I have short wide feet and a bunion. Will definitely go to a shop in person too but was a bit wary of them trying to push whatever they had in stock there and then onto me and was after some unbiased opinions as well

deepsoup 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

> but was a bit wary of them trying to push whatever they had in stock

That's why you need to go to a good shop!

('Accelerate' would be my recommendation if you ever find yourself passing the unfashionable North East side of Sheffield.)

CantClimbTom 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Since the question has transformed into... where can I find a GOOD running shoe shop. Are you comfortable with saying roughly where in the country you live?

TMM 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I have used Hoka Challenger ATR shoes. They were a little sloppy on my feet and the upper always split on the forefoot before 400km.

I suggest trying Saucony. The Xodus is a great cushioned on/off road multi-surface shoe that is my go to shoe. The upper has just started to split at 1200km. I understand the Xodus is about to be replaced by the Xodus ultra which is supposed to be lighter.

If you they suit your feet they're a winner.

In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks for the recommendation. Is it as good as Up and Running in the city centre which is where I last bought running shoes in person (going on 4 years ago now!)?

In reply to TMM:

Thanks for the tip

In reply to CantClimbTom:

Sheffield

In reply to Garethza:

It hadn't occurred to me that the 6 (plenty of web hits) might just be the new 5! Do you know if that's definitely the case?

tjdodd 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Go to Accelerate in Attercliffe.  They will spend lots of time with you to make sure you get the correct shoe.

climbingpixie 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I have wide forefeet and narrow heels, as well as bony bits that may or may not be the start of bunions. I've recently started running in Scott Supertracs and they seem to fit my awkward feet very nicely. I actually prefer them to my wide fit Hokas because they fit my heels better.

deepsoup 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I think they're very good indeed - extremely knowledgable (though I am not, so may not be the best judge of that), endlessly patient while you try on every shoe in the shop and keen for you to actually try running in them either round the block outside or on the treadmill. 

But I've never bought shoes in either of Sheffield's other 'proper' running shops so honestly can't really compare.

Tom Briggs 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

If the ATR Challenger in wide fits you I’d wait for the new Speedgoat 5, which is supposed to be wider in the toe box than previous iterations and comes in a wide fitting. Not sure when it’s out but both Accelerate and Frontrunner (My Race Kit) should know. Or if you’ve got a really wide forefoot try Altra?

mountainbagger 06 Mar 2022
In reply to TMM:

> I have used Hoka Challenger ATR shoes. They were a little sloppy on my feet and the upper always split on the forefoot before 400km.

This used to happen to me with earlier versions, but my ATR 5 and ATR 6 pairs have both managed c725km each, with no signs of the upper splitting.

I love the Challengers as lots of trails near my house require tarmac bashing to get to them, and they're as comfy as road shoes on anything firm. The only problem I have with them is when it's really muddy.

The Hoka Speedgoats seemed to be the answer (more grip, bouncy and comfortable still on firmer stuff) and I love them but I get a blister on one of my heels after about 10 miles! Argh!

It's a bit of a nightmare trying new shoes as you've pretty much rendered them unreturnable once you've tested them out enough to be sure!

mountainbagger 06 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

> It hadn't occurred to me that the 6 (plenty of web hits) might just be the new 5! Do you know if that's definitely the case?

Yes, definitely new version of the Challenger. They fit a bit differently to the 5 but I love them.

Edit: but as Tom suggests above, you could try the Speedgoats (see my other post where I mention them. They're awesome, but consider going up half a size maybe...or order a couple of sizes). If you order directly from Hoka, I think you can try them for up to a month and still send them back!

Post edited at 20:27
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Thanks all

OP Sam Beaton 09 Mar 2022
In reply to tjdodd and deepsoup:

Booked a lunchtime appointment for today at Accelerate. What a great shop and great service! Have come home with a very comfy pair of New Balance. Would highly recommend this place to others!

deepsoup 10 Mar 2022
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I'm really glad to hear it worked out so well for you, thanks for reporting back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...