UKC

Recommend me a race

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 03 Nov 2023

I’m looking for a mountain (or similar interesting environment) race for next summer, ideally 30-60miles as I don’t have time to train for longer events at the moment. 

any recommendations for interesting events? I’ve done Lakeland 50/100, Spine Sprint and several variations of Snowdon ultras, looking for something similar in style or just that would make a good adventure 

mountainbagger 03 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

You mention Spine Sprint. Was that the winter one? Are you looking for something with the potential to be a bit brutal? Or a more benign romp in beautiful scenery?

greg_may_ 04 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

The Fellsman? 

Levy_danny 04 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

Grant tour of skiddaw, 46 miles, beautiful route and really good atmosphere. Good checkpoints and cheap camping both nights. 

Siward 04 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

Maybe elf, or half-orc? Difficult one

In reply to echo34:

I did the Lakes Traverse in April: 100k of very enjoyable terrain, well organised and a nice atmosphere

plyometrics 05 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

Lakeland 5 Passes? Packs a lot in for only 32 miles. 

Neil Williams 05 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

Lakes in a Day is great, but a bit later in the year than summer (early Oct).

Matt Podd 05 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

Look at the Punk Panther and Hardmoors events.

BusyLizzie 05 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

Lakeland Trails 55km? More like 56 and a bit actually.

compost 06 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

Is May counted as summer? If so, Old County Tops

tony 06 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

Possibly shorter than you really want, but the Lairig Ghru race is definitely a mountain environment. Similarly, the Highland Fling (southern section of the WHW to Tyndrum) or Deil o'the Highlands (northern section of the WHW) might suit.

Or the Jura fell race - again, shorter, but very hilly and a proper challenge.

DaveHK 06 Nov 2023
In reply to tony:

> Or the Jura fell race - again, shorter, but very hilly and a proper challenge.

Jura is harder than many races twice or even 3 times the length. Not particularly easy to get a place though.

Post edited at 12:01
 steveriley 06 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

If you’ve got a suitable mate Old County Tops is a corker

Lhod 07 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

I did the Pennine Barrier 50 miler a couple of years ago and would highly recommend. 

It starts at Malham, goes up the cove, past the tarn and over Fountains Fell, then does the Yorkshire 3 Peaks loop before returning the same way to Malham.

For me it was that sweet spot of hilly enough for a bit of variety and good views/mental checkpoints, but not so hilly that you're basically on a long walk. Great views of the Dales, nice running terrain, well organised and supported.

When I did it, I think it was June but looks like next year's one is in May:

https://www.gbultras.com/pennine-barrier-50/

Martin Hore 07 Nov 2023
In reply to echo34:

"Recommend me a race".

If you have a choice (which you don't) I'd go for White Anglo-Saxon. Still seems to bring the most un-earned benefits.

Sorry, did I misunderstand the topic.....

Martin

Levy_danny 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lhod:

I've not done this event but have done 3 of their events and I really recommend them.. A really  early start (which I love), great checkpoints and the volunteers are lovely. Always a good spread of competitors so people to pace with. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...