UKC

Recreational runners

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 thomasdoolan 27 Feb 2024

Are you passionate about running? Want to contribute to research that could enhance the running experience for fellow enthusiasts like yourself? Here's your chance!

I'm currently conducting a study as part of my thesis research on recreational runners' perceptions of injury and how they manage them. Your valuable insights can help us better understand the challenges and strategies involved in injury management within the running community.

If you're 18 years or older and run recreationally at least once a week, I would greatly appreciate your participation in this anonymous questionnaire. It'll only take 10-15 minutes of your time, and your responses could make a real difference!

(https://dcusciencehealth.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cUuOa0yGwBIwGzk)

Thank you for your support and contribution to advancing our understanding of recreational running! Feel free to share this link with other runners who might be interested.

montyjohn 27 Feb 2024
In reply to thomasdoolan:

Do we have to complete it twice?

greg_may_ 27 Feb 2024

My ex-department Say hi to Kieran for me. 

petemeads 27 Feb 2024

Done. Pretty good survey, but effect should be affect...

montyjohn 29 Feb 2024
In reply to petemeads:

> Done. Pretty good survey, but effect should be affect...

I didn't complete it. Didn't understand what this meant:

To what extent do you agree that these terms are both 
(i) distinct and unwanted 'physical complaints', and
(ii) can occur due to running

All listed injuries can occur during running and all are unwanted. Don't understand what is meant by distinct. If it just means do you notice the injury, well of course you do, otherwise how can you answer the question. 

So do i agree or disagree with all of them?

If I have to second guess a question I'm out.

ablackett 29 Feb 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

I'd agree, I don't have a clue what that is asking.  Sorry.

Ridge 29 Feb 2024
In reply to ablackett:

I completed it as best I could, but the numerous questions regarding the differences between niggles, twinges, were they dull or burning, what is a “distinct and unwanted physical complaint” (who actually wants a physical complaint, and who would actually think a career ending or long term injury isn't distinct or unwanted?), and variations on those themes got a bit baffling to my feeble mind.

Oh, well, Completed as accurately as I could.

McHeath 01 Mar 2024

I gave up on about the 4th question; I run recreationally, but also have periods in the year in which I train to take part in competitive events, and I couldn´t tick both options.

Post edited at 00:46
 Nic Barber 01 Mar 2024
In reply to McHeath:

I completed it but did get a bit number/tick box blind. Might partly be due to a virus-addled brain.

I think everyone who runs, unless you're targetting the very Elite, is recreational. But if you compete in races I'd say competitive recreational.

Maybe the classes should be

Elite competitive (i.e. earning money/sponsorship/targeting National team/certain category of races)
Competitive recreational (people who race but all costs come out their own purse - save maybe the odd voucher as a prize, and don't get)
Recreational (runs but doesn't race)

But then you could split 'competitive recreational still further:

Serious: Selects races for quality of competition and targets specific races/series/championships. Races for enjoyment and performance
Social: Races for enjoyment only (not bothered by performance)

Sure could be split down further.

dread-i 03 Mar 2024

Completed.

I think some of the questions may be valuable from a clinical or statistical perspective. I also think the questionnaire is badly designed, with lots of similarly worded questions. You don't get the chance to skip an answer. If you spent more time creating a better questionnaire, you'd get a better quality of answer, which would lead to better quality research outcomes. Just sayin'

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...