UKC

Running with fused ankle?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 im off 02 Sep 2018

Hi,

Sorry, I'm aware this subject has been discussed quite a lot. I'm still scratching around wondering on best thing to do.

One of my ankles has 15 years ago had lateral collateral rupture from a fall. Last 5 years osteoarthritis got worse. I've got rocking of my talus in relation to my tibia. And moderate osteoarthritis.

Clinically I get burning pain on outside of ankle and sometimes within joint too.

I've had radiographs. My gp has started me on Naproxen and told me to get on with my running and climbing. 

I run 20mile distances fell running and go winter climbing and alpine stuff and want to continue.

Naproxen allows this to an extent. 

I'm aware of the horror stories of fused ankles but are there runners climbers out there that have had good experiences with fusion? 

I'm a vet who does lots of orthopaedics so understands a lot of the pros and cons to such surgery.

I'm a stubborn determined b.......d too.

Thanks for any replies.

OP im off 02 Sep 2018
In reply to im off:

Was a long shot.

In denial that I'm f......d.

Dave the Rave 02 Sep 2018
In reply to im off:

What about an ankle replacement? Fusion ( triple arthrodeses) would be my last option.

You can get good relief from ankle OA by tying a sling to something solid and also solidly to your ankle in sitting.

Relax and draw your leg away from the ankle. This allows the synovial fluid to nourish the articulate surfaces and aid repair.

OP im off 02 Sep 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Cheers Dave. Will try it.

I'm gonna pay to see a surgeon I think unless my gp refers me on nhs.

I've read ankle replacements are good so long as you don't hammer them. Yeah, I'd go for that if it's suitable. But I suspect I'd wear it out.

I know all these surgical options will not be great solutions but as it is I already run and climb oddly to compensate. I think I already do a lot of stuff in a way that avoids movement of that joint.

A sensible person would take up a different sport but that depresses me. 

Dave the Rave 02 Sep 2018
In reply to im off:

To be honest there’s got to be a bit of give no matter what you choose. Long distance fell running won’t help but if you reduced distance then winter climbing shouldn’t be a problem.

See a lot of new hips and knees that still ski, hill walk and climb to a fair standard. 

Dont worry how long a replacement will last as you never know what’s around the corner. 

Personally I would reduce the running, take up cyclocross or MTB and curtail any sort of joint replacement as long as possible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...