UKC

Training a youngster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richt79 28 Apr 2023

Hi all,

After anyone's insight really, my lad, gusting 7 years old, has been asking me to help him train to run faster and I'm not really sure where to start or even if I should at his age. 

He's already pretty active, plays footy, cycles, jui jitsu, tennis and recently started a bit of bouldering. He's not the fastest runner, but I'd say he's bang in the middle for his age. There's a few obvious things in terms of his running form (head back or wobble, leaning forward a bit) but nothing strictly limiting.

After any ideas or tips really, will try and get him to sort one bit of form at a time but was thinking maybe just some body weight squats and lunges and some plyometric jump type exercises and try and make it fun.

Maybe take him for a few short runs with me too!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Cheers

montyjohn 28 Apr 2023
In reply to Richt79:

My gut feeling is most seven year olds are only going to train if it's something they enjoy. I've never met anyone who enjoy lunges, so I would expect it would be fun to show him lunges, he may do them a few times, but quickly get bored of them so it won't really translate to any benefit.

Naturally, I don't know your kid so I'm basing this on my interpretation of a typical seven year old. 

Running faster is about strength and fast twitch muscles, so intervals both flat and hills  would be the way to go.

Kids are great of not over doing things so he'll hopefully naturally limit his effort to what he wants to do.

Now I may as well go and contradict myself, but school really put me off running. We were taught to run as hard as possible to get fit. I was naturally a slow burner so never enjoyed running at school and the teaching methods meant I didn't run until late 30's. now I blame the teaching methods, but it was probably me. What I'm trying to say is it needs to be fun.

If he enjoys football that's a great interval training session so maybe he's already doing what he needs to do to get faster.

Sorry I've probably just confused you haven't I?

OP Richt79 28 Apr 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

Thanks for the reply, totally follow you! I was the same at school and hated the way it was pushed to do X country until you maxed out which is why I'm unsure as to whether or not to push it despite it being him asking to do it (think it's just his competitive nature coming out a little).

I'm fortunate enough to coach his footy team and we do throw in some fun agility races into that as well which all the lads seem to enjoy so could be worth just doing another midweek session of that just for him or some intervals as you suggest and leaving the rest to develop naturally.

Thanks though!

SouthernSteve 28 Apr 2023
In reply to Richt79:

Perhaps see if he would like to join a local athletics club and get the benefit of coaching and run with those of his own age.

https://www.englandathletics.org/find-an-athletics-club/

Enjoyment must be the priority

Post edited at 15:11
 montyjohn 28 Apr 2023
In reply to Richt79:

It is tricky. Especially since he's asked you for help, you want to be shown to be supportive. I know it won't help his speed, but going on some short runs sounds like a great idea.

I started jogging back from school with my five year old. She loved it. Thought it was great fun. Except she then naturally fell over going down a hill and I had to carry her home a small bloody mess. Think I'll leave it another year before trying that again. 

What about skipping? I remember as a kid doing tricks with the rope whilst skipping so it is somehting you can get into and a little obsessed with. Good workout for the glutes and calves which surely translate to faster runs.

OP Richt79 28 Apr 2023
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Not a bad shout cheers, will have a look at whats around!

tony 28 Apr 2023
In reply to Richt79:

Do you have a local junior parkrun? At 7, I'd avoid formal training such as lunges and squats and the like, but running with other children will be more fun and his competitiveness will make him run faster.

kathrync 28 Apr 2023
In reply to Richt79:

I second the idea of signing him up to an athletics club.

I also second the idea of avoiding formal training such as lunges or squats. Or at least, maybe show him the exercises but don't get too deep into doing x sets of y reps...

If you are doing some short runs with him, then playing about with some simple intervals or fartlek-type runs with him in a fun way might be good?

wbo2 28 Apr 2023
In reply to Richt79:do athletics clubs take 7 year old? 

Just keep him active and mix it up.  There are a few years to go yet before any real training... e en 12 strikes me as very young

Nic Barber 02 May 2023
In reply to Richt79:

Would also back up the club suggestions. Not got kids (well not for the next 4-6 weeks anyway), but have been around them and their coaches at club training sessions and races. The main things I've gleaned are:

• Should all be about enjoyment (as I'm sure you're aware as a football coach)
  • The fragility of kids' bodies to impact and endurance training - don't underestimate this! There's a reason formal athletics races have maximum lengths for kids by age, and they seem quite short (be they sprint or endurance) and that's because you need to be super careful with their training. It may be great fun for them to run an adult parkrun and beat adults, and it may look good for a short period of time, but 5km on hard ground is not suitable for younger kids (even up to mid teens).

The main thing is to make sure you don't get into competitive dad mode, as running parents can be eye-opening (even into the kids' late teens/early 20s. Then they wonder why the kids give up running...)

The amount of activities your kid does looks like a really good and fun way for them to develop their capacity and enjoyment of activity which will set it in good stead for later life. This 'try a bit of everything' at a young age is the approach we want to take with our kids. 

Post edited at 10:29
OP Richt79 02 May 2023
In reply to Richt79:

Thanks for the comments everyone, really helpful.

Think I'll do the softly approach and look to see any clubs that have slots for kids his age and avoid anything formal for now maybe throw in the odd kids park run or short run with me!

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...