UKC

Y3P this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Levy_danny 25 Apr 2022

Hi all, 

Not new to fell running at all but first time doing the three peaks and as mentioned in another thread I’ve got some sore (but feeling much better) feet. If I could get away with wearing a grippy road shoe (brooks ghost) for this instead of a trail shoe I think I would as the ones I’ve got have soft toe boxes which are comfier at the moment. I’m just wondering whether people who have done it before think this is a daft idea. 

cheers

Dan

dread-i 25 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

Its a well made track in most places. There are also some stretches of road. If its dry you could do it in road shoes. If its the race, check to see if there are any requirements. Perhaps take both pairs and decide based on the weather.

tony 25 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

I haven't dome the race, but I ran the Y3P last August in memory of my Father, who spent many happy years wandering the Yorkshire Dales. If you're comfortable on uneven terrain in road shoes, and if the ground is as dry in Yorkshire as it is here in Perthshire (very), you could probably get away with it.

However, soft toe boxes doesn't sound great. The terrain was more demanding than I was expecting (and that was after doing the Lairig Ghru race last June), and I stubbed my toes a lot, to the extent that the damaged nails are only just about grown out now. This may be partly a result of my running style - I don't pick my feet up very well, so any protruding stones have the potential to catch my toes. This was particularly the case on the descent from Ingleborough, when my legs were tired and the paths were not as forgiving as I'd hoped. It's obviously too late now to try different shoes - is it possible/allowed to have an alternative pair available at Ribblehead or Chapel-le-Dale?

Whichever you choose, have a great day, and I hope it goes well for you.

plyometrics 25 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

Never done it in road shoes, but most of the race is good going underfoot and it has been very dry. That said, there are one or two sections where you might get caught out. 

If you do wear road shoes, don’t get carried away on the road to Ribblehead, it’s a classic Y3P mistake and could leave you ruined by the time you hit Whernside! 

Have a great race. 

Matt Podd 25 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

I've done the race a few times. You could get away with road shoes if it stays dry. However trail shoes would give you a better grip on the gravelly sections.

mountainbagger 25 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

> Not new to fell running at all but first time doing the three peaks and as mentioned in another thread I’ve got some sore (but feeling much better) feet. If I could get away with wearing a grippy road shoe (brooks ghost) for this instead of a trail shoe I think I would as the ones I’ve got have soft toe boxes which are comfier at the moment. I’m just wondering whether people who have done it before think this is a daft idea. 

I'm glad you mentioned the road shoes are Brooks Ghost. I have been through a few different types of road shoes and the Ghosts are exceptionally good (for a road shoe) on trails. I would use them quite happily in dry conditions. Really stony bits would be the only worry (the toe stubbing and general bashing on sharp rock when they don't have much protection), but hard packed trails even gravel have been ok for me (South/North Downs).

steveriley 25 Apr 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

There’s a bit of a flog up the side of Whernside you might want a bit of grip on? 

OP Levy_danny 01 May 2022
In reply to steveriley:

Well that was bloody tough, opted for the roclites in the end and although it was dry I was glad for the slightly more rugged toe box. Conditions were perfect if not a little hot. great race. Not sure it would be like in the wet with all the polished limestone about. 

steveriley 01 May 2022
In reply to Levy_danny:

Great work, good one to have done, hard to get completely right I expect. I’ve just gone back to a pair of Roclites after a long break and they feel a good all-rounder if not a smidge tighter than previous. Or maybe my feet have middle age spread?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...