UKC

Avalanche Video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krikoman 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Rich Mayfield: Try this youtube.com/watch?v=Tbuk9AyEap8&

good god!!
 Got a job rob 23 Jan 2013
In reply to krikoman: both lucky people, but in both vids you can see evidence of wind transport and the slope angle is in the right range to go. They should have stopped and dug snow test pits.
 caravanshaker 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Rich Mayfield: Try this three-parter, not an avalanche but scary none the less youtube.com/watch?v=qVsqpquTvUQ&
Anonymous 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Rich Mayfield: well you would hope a British party might be less hysterical, more "I'm frightfully sorry I thought for a terrible moment I might have carried your Hobnobs over the cliff", than all this theatrical bellowing business Dreadfully poor judgement in the first case with the hilarious comment about careful entry and then jumping with maximum momentum in to a sea of obvious windslab with skis perpendicular to the fall line. A fine advert for ABS also - maybe "leave your brain at home to rest and we'll save your ass, vorsprung (und leben) durch technic". Notwithstanding the kamikaze judgement in the clips it does help to illustrate that an avalanche airbag off piste is as much of a no brainer as a life vest for white water kayaking nowadays. Luck is luck, logic, evidence and common sense is as it says on the tin..... and obstinate f*ckwitedness is surprisingly prevalent and all too frequently lauded
 jonnie3430 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Rich Mayfield:

I can't believe his friend is called Norbert!
Ann 24 Jan 2013
The old saying "safety benefits are changed into performance benefits". Because they feel safer and rely on the new technology the old tried and tested methods (safe travel techniques) are forgotten.
 gethin_allen 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Rich Mayfield:
The first clip shows the dubious ground so obviously I'd have backed off far sooner, especially after hearing the other points he lists later in the vid (being told about avalanches happening, starting a few small ones himself, the scoured crest dropping down into a hollow where snow will have collected).

Really not a good guide to self preservation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...