UKC

Beginner Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JFT 28 Oct 2017
I want to get into ski touring/mountaineering.... I'm confident/competent in the Scottish hills during winter on foot and I've been snowboarding for years but have never tried skiing!

I've been thinking of getting some lessons on the dry slope here in Edinburgh then just buying a second hand touring set up and simply going out this winter and figuring it out.... Does that sound like a daft way to go about it?
 HeMa 28 Oct 2017
In reply to JFT:

You could read Dougs article here. Or the never one. Or search the forums.

In short. Slightly daft.
 Doug 28 Oct 2017
In reply to JFT:

You wouldn't be the first, but it really is a lot easier to learn to turn on pisted snow than elsewhere unless its lovely névé. You also get more turns in a half day's resort skiing than in several days touring meaning you progress more quickly.

And unfortunately you are more likely to get good snow & good weather at the same time in the Alps than in Scotland so I suspect its much easier/quicker to learn in the Alps than Scotland (I learnt in Scotland). When its good, Scottish skiing is great, unfortunately its often a battle against the elements

ps have you considered splitboarding ? might be easier if you can already board.
OP JFT 28 Oct 2017
Cheers guys.

I guess it helps to understand my motivation... I'm early in my mountaineering career so starting to ski now while I'm developing the other skills/experience will hold me in good stead for the future. Also, I like the idea of ski touring on the winter day's I'm not climbing as an alternative to winter hill walking!

I've thought about split boarding but if I did go down that route that may mean I never learn to ski! From reading up about it, doing so in Scotland is not that efficient a way of moving round the hills in winter which is another reason ski touring appeals to me - covering larger distances in a day

@doug - when you learnt in Scotland how long did you spend on piste before stepping into touring?

Doug 28 Oct 2017
In reply to JFT:
> @doug - when you learnt in Scotland how long did you spend on piste before stepping into touring?

I started by XC skiing in the forests of Strathspey & later Deeside so in one sense, my first day on skis was touring (no XC tracks in Scotland) but on the flat/very gentle terrain. I guess my first 'mountain' tour was on the munros west of Drumochter but I dread to think how many times I fell, but my two colleagues were equally hopeless at the time and we didn't know any better. Initially I resisted skiing on the piste, partly due to the expense (I was a student at the time) but soon realised (or was persuaded, can't remember) that it would be quicker to learn the arts of turning in a ski resort (in my case mostly Glenshee).

But I learnt on XC/telemark gear in the days of narrow skis & leather boots so probably of little relevance to today.
 Ciro 28 Oct 2017
In reply to JFT:

Absolutely agree with Doug. If you're already competent in the mountains learning to downhill ski is your priority and the alps is the best place to do it. It can be expensive, but if you're on a tight budget take a look at the UCPA - a French not for profit organisation that does great value all inclusive ski courses (along with just about any other sport you can think of). Despite the price, the instructors are very good and the class sizes quite reasonable... as long as you're happy with the no-frills accomodation it's a brilliant outfit
OP JFT 28 Oct 2017
In reply to Ciro:

Thanks Doug and Ciro. Just taken a look at the UCPA courses and at only £411 for 4 days in Chamonix full board with rental, passes and 15 hours of lessons, that looks like the best way to kick start things!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...