UKC

Hows the snow holding up in the alps ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 26 Mar 2023

I know several people on here live in or close to ski resorts . I’m used to spring skiing and accept it can be sub optimal , but I what’s it like where you are in relation to  “ normal “ ( again I know that there is no normal really anymore ) ? 

Post edited at 09:38
 S Ramsay 26 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

Looking pretty healthy to me:

https://tignes.roundshot.com/val-claret/#/

Doug 26 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

Pretty poor cover here in the Champsaur, my local ski area shut at midday today & by today there wasn't much still skiable. But ironically it was snowing above circa 1600m this morning.

In reply to mike123:

It's snowing here in the Écrins (Briançon side) up high. I am not sure where the current FP is, I think that where its rained it could have got rid of some of the lower snow that was hanging on. But will have added a bit to the higher stuff.

I ski toured last week and was on perfect spring snow leaving around 1800M going up to 3300M, there is still lots of touring to go at, the high refuges have started to open as well. 

For piste skiing I have heard its good they have managed it well at Puy Saint Vincent and Serre Che etc. 

In terms of compared to the said norm? we are in a way better place than last year. But still a little off a a few years 4 or 5 years ago. There is more forecast for next weekend? 

OP mike123 26 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123: thanks all , 

Gormenghast 26 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

Came back from Les arcs yesterday.

Trying to snow but far too warm.

Freezing level about 2000 metres.

Everything below was either melting or like porridge.

It wasn’t even freezing at night so not so much spring skiing but early summer!

Only a Crag 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Gormenghast:

As did I, it dumped snow down to 1400m Fri night/Sat morn and 20cm today, freezing below 200m until Weds then again from Friday. Should be a good week in les Arc and into next week  

John Cuthbert 27 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

According to the forecast in the link (green shaded areas are for snowfall over next 3-6 days), things will be freshening up nicely.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/europe?hr=3&over=none&sy...

I'd be interested to hear where you you end up going.....I've been having similar thoughts...

John C

Stairclimber 27 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

Great skiing in Serre Chevalier this morning with around 30cm of fresh snow above 1800m. 4 or 5 cm at 1400m but this is melting as the sun comes out. Lots of untracked snow to go at off piste. Lovely in the trees. Resort looks well stocked to reach the end of the season but bear in mind that the Briancon link closes two weeks earlier than the he rest, so lift passes are 20% cheaper. 

yorkshireman 27 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

I live at 1100m near Grenoble and we had loads of wet snow overnight. Going to be cold today and tomorrow but then back into the teens. 

Met a friend on Saturday who is a ski instructor in Courcheval and he said conditions are decent up high. 

Richard Horn 27 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

Got back from Les Carroz (1100m) a week ago. Left with the impression there would be plenty of snow to see out the season on the upper slopes - the natural snow level was just above the village. The run down to Samoens (800m) was still open although artificial for the bottom section, not sure that would be possible for much longer. 

Dark-Cloud 27 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

The snow level does appear much higher this year, I have been to Verbier at least twice a season over the last 15 years, last time was 3 weeks ago and then Christmas, its been pretty good this year all in all, i have seen it much worse than this a few times.

Looking across to Crans Montana and the resorts on the other side of the Rhone valley and even Nendaz looked pretty brown so i would say if anybody does want to grab a late season ski higher is  best for sure, especially on the Swiss side.

Doug 27 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

Although our local ski area shut for the season yesterday, overnight it snowed so this morning looked very wintery. Cloud was very low this morning so went to the local market but when driving back the sky began to clear so after a quick lunch I skinned up the now empty pistes. I stopped at the top of the pistes (circa 2000m) where there was maybe 10 cm of new soft snow. Pleasant ski down to about 1500 after which it was very soft, pratically slush in places.

Looks like touring above circa 2000 m in the southern Ecrins could be quite good for the next week or two.

kathrync 27 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

I've just spent a week in Chamonix. There has been quite a bit of precipitation, but temperatures are very variable. Snow is holding up high, we had some good touring days above 2000m and the upper lifts at most of the resort areas were fine. Lower runs were extremely slushy and beginning to break up. However, I've seen that the temperature has dropped and it's snowing low down today, so perhaps it's filling back in.

The lower resorts further down the valley were shot. Several closed for the season already.

French Erick 27 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

Above 2000m is your playing area. If it has it where you go, you should be fine. Below will be hit and miss!

the Ubaye (down south) got 20/25cm of fresh snow at 2100m but it was 6C at 2pm.

Post edited at 21:24
 Pinch'a'salt 28 Mar 2023
In reply to mike123:

In the Vanoise/Tarentaise (same for Mt Blanc & W Valais as I understand it) we have had a shed load of snow over the last couple of weeks. Yes cover is poor below ~2000m as mentioned above, but then in late March this is not really all that out of the ordinary...

Above 2000m in 3 Valleys, Paradiski, EK and the mountains in general cover is really quite good - in the 3V there are areas (top of Mottaret for example) that are exceptionally well filled in (better than I can remember).

Yes the snowline will be a little higher than normal for ski touring, but this spring promises to be good! (Though I am of to Norway for 2 weeks on Friday...).

gilmour_789 03 Apr 2023
In reply to mike123:

Just back from La Plagne. Big dump of snow Friday night. Saturday and Sunday were great days and looking good for the rest of the week. Sad I couldn't stay. 

In reply to gilmour_789:

Sister is in Chamonix; snowfall on Sunday, and conditions look nice, even in Les Houches.

Friend in VT also posted very snowy pictures.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...