UKC

Recommended off-piste Intro Ski Course ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tcashmore 25 Nov 2012
Can anyone recommend an intro off-piste ski course anywhere in the alps e.g. chamonix, three valleys etc. Many Thanks Tim
 Cuthbert 25 Nov 2012
In reply to tcashmore:

Tignes is great. The telemark ski company do alpine skiing too. Check out jagged globe and ultimate ski. Also, google Simon Christy!
 ross 25 Nov 2012
In reply to tcashmore: Hi Tim, I can strongly recommend the BASS Chamonix courses given by Alison Culshaw and her colleagues whatever level you are at. They will be filling up quickly now so act fast if you are keen to get out this winter. I went last winter and have just booked to go again in Jan. My skiing has been transformed completely, the courses are cheap too (£190 for just tuition for 4 half days, other options available too).
Hope you have a great time whatever you end up doing, Ross.
 blurty 25 Nov 2012
In reply to ross:

Another vote for Alison Culshaw
 blurty 25 Nov 2012
In reply to blurty:

Alison does a specific course 'off-piste skiing for climbers' I think it's called.
 Allan 25 Nov 2012
In reply to tcashmore:
I would recommend the FreshTracks courses run by the Ski Club.
 ben b 25 Nov 2012
In reply to tcashmore: I'd also highly recommend the telemarkskico - despite the name they do alpine off piste at all levels and are great company. Bonny used to climb to a high standard and John is an absolute machine, even at 8000m, but the quietest and most unassuming guy.

They do a variety of alpine courses in several locations. We have had great trips with them in the Alps, Norway, Scotland, Greece, and Canada over the years.

http://www.telemarkskico.com

b
 kevin stephens 25 Nov 2012
In reply to tcashmore:

BASS Chamonix, Tinderbox (Chamonix) and Ski Club of Great Britain (SCGB) Freshtracks are all very good.

Chamonix can be a good value location because of the availability of cheap climbers' type accommodation if you don't want the cost of the hotel provided/available as part of the package (but miss out on social aspect of the course group). SCGB's chamonix courses start at intermediate rather than intro level with maybe more of a lean to guiding rather than instruction.

The best off piste instruction I have come across is the French team used by SCGB's Freshtracks holidays in Flaine. I'm looking forward to going back there for an advanced course in January.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubfreshtracks/search.aspx
 Frank4short 26 Nov 2012
In reply to tcashmore: pinch a salt of this here Parish does courses that come highly recommended. http://www.offpisteskiing.com/about
In reply to tcashmore:
The Eagle Ski Club runs a tour a week throughout the season and training courses for off piste, ski-mountaineering etc. run by qualified guides/instructors. Joining is cheap and you also get info on training grants that would pay dividends if you are young enough to qualify for them. Check out www.eagleskiclub.org.uk
chrisfecher 26 Nov 2012
In reply to tcashmore: Hi Tim, there are lots of options as I'm sure you're finding out.
It depends a little on what exactly you want to do or get out of a course. Do you have any specific goals?

An intro to off-piste would suggest that you're new to it, so I'm guessing that a ski teacher would be the way to go.

I'd be happy to help out, you can find out more details here - www.tinderboxskischool.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...