UKC

Rottefella Freedom v Meidjo 2.0 v 22Designs Outlaw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreeHeelSki 14 Dec 2016
I've some great skis for next season, but I'm struggling to decide which tele-binding to go for. As there's only so much YouTubing you can do, and EarnYourTurns reviews you can read. Thoughts so far -

Rottefella Freedoms

Build quality I assume is decent being Norwegian tele, nordic and x-country experts. Look fairly heavy, and it looks like I'll need Voile's fixed crampon, as there's no crampon that is specifically designed for the binding.

Meidjo 2.0

Looks superb, light and innovative. Tempting, but I'm concerned over robustness though, and fecking expensive. The early models seemed to get slated a bit due to bits breaking etc.

22Designs Outlaw

22Designs kit looks bombproof, and I know they have their cult followers with the Axl and Hammerhead. Again, looks quite heavy and crampon options look limited, unless the Voile's fixed crampon will fit between the main binding and heel piece?

The majority of my skiing is now touring, so I'm not fussed over a bomber, hard-charging piste set-up.

Thoughts and experiences of regular tele-ing UKC-ers would be appreciated, as bindings aren't cheap, and neither are skis, so I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Thanks.
paraffin 15 Dec 2016
In reply to FreeHeelSki

Hi, If you are looking at 75mm Nordic Norm; 22 Designs Axl, BD Switchback & Targa Ascent are all free pivot and very good. I like the Targa Ascents combined crampon that lifts with the boot & binding. But I have to say in 30+ yrs, I have never used a ski crampon as it feels like you might be getting yourself into a situation where you wish you had already took your skis off and booted it.
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2016
In reply to FreeHeelSki:

The brother of French Erick of this parish has been skiing the Meidjo bindings for a few seasons now. He seems to really like them but then they do sponsor him. He skis them pretty hard, rails and freestyle comps. Erick might be able to give you a bit more beta.

DaveHK 15 Dec 2016
In reply to paraffin:

> In reply to FreeHeelSki

> But I have to say in 30+ yrs, I have never used a ski crampon as it feels like you might be getting yourself into a situation where you wish you had already took your skis off and booted it.

That really surprises me. I never bother with ski crampons in Scotland but have used them loads in the Alps. You're right that they can get you into difficult situations although I've always put that down to inexperience on my part.

paraffin 15 Dec 2016
In reply to DaveHK:
Regarding ski crampons, I guess, being a climber first and a skier second, happy to be in my boots on steep terrain. If it all went wrong for me on skis, skins and ski crampons on marginal terrain, I know I would be sorry.
OP said not interested in hard charging, so Nordic 75mm offers a "softer" option.
OP FreeHeelSki 16 Dec 2016
In reply to FreeHeelSki:

Thanks all.

The 22Designs Outlaw is looking favourite at the moment, as there is a ski-crampon option made by an independent company from 22. I know what you mean by not really using them much, but I'd rather have the piece of mind of having the option. My current 7TM harscheisen rarely see the light of day.

Thoughts on the bindings appreciated.
 IainAhh 17 Dec 2016
In reply to FreeHeelSki:

Hi i have the outlaw bindings. I think they are about the same weight as the freedom's. I did look at the Meidjo which looks a very interesting design but too pricy for me. I was worried i might break them.

The outlaws have very good boot to ski transfer. No movement what so ever. Good solid powerful binding. You need to stamp on them a bit to get them in. Switch to touring mode is easy. No pre releases.

Significantly more drive and control than a 7tm. I would say the whole setup is a bit heavier with wide skis etc than my older 75mm setup. Not quite alpine weight but with similar control. I don't use crampons on bindings as mainly ski in scotland. All i need now is a better set of boots. I really liked my old Garmont ener-g's but i am not getting on with the garmont ntn boots. Going to try some Scarpas.
 HeMa 17 Dec 2016
In reply to FreeHeelSki:

While 22D has their "crowd", I've never been much fan of them. Sure, good products but to me they have akways felt fiddly.

So, from your listing, it would be Freedoms. Boring, but well tried and true.

Meidjo is sort a new kid on the street... and from what I've gathered, perhaps still some issues that might need tweakin' or not.

To make matters worse, I'll add in Moonlights to the mix.
http://www.moonlightmountaingear.com/en/products/bindings/pure-tele-2.html

For what its worth, I've been using the Freeride (gen 2, so first time they came out in S) since they started sellin' them and been rather happy. Of course, I also have dynafiddle rigs, so optimum skinning hasn't been that critical. Were I to now get new binders, it would either be Moonlights or Freedoms... most likely Moonlights.
OP FreeHeelSki 17 Dec 2016
In reply to FreeHeelSki:
Thanks all, very much appreciated. Great to hear real-world feedback on both the Freedom and Outlaw.

True be told, l've a sparkly pair of G3 Ions sat in the cupboard tempting me to give up the faith and go AT. I've tele'd for the past 15 years, so reluctant to give it up, but l've been so frustrated at the lack of development in the tele-world in comparison to the AT gear manufacturers, that staying tele sometimes seems to be an exercise in stubbornness, rather than common sense. But l still love to tele. V difficult decision.

HeMa, lan, are you seeing fewer free-heelers about these days?
Post edited at 18:51
 HeMa 17 Dec 2016
In reply to FreeHeelSki:

Yes, quite a few of my tele-friends are nowadays rockin' AT (tech binders) whilst touring. That said, perhaps more people are starting to go out with telegear whilst in resorts (mole hills)... mostly to get some added challenge I think... and 'cause tele ain't so cool anymore (bloody wannabe hipsters).
 IainAhh 17 Dec 2016
In reply to HeMa:

I still see folk out on Tele gear. Mostly decent skiers. I would say less overall. A bigger difference is there are a lot of people with AT gear on the lifts or touring. I must confess to have just put some AT bindings on a pair of skis to try this winter for something different. I will be on Teles too. Like above it is many years since i skied with my heel locked down. Good wide skis with the newer tech bindings looks a attractive combo for skiers getting away from the lifts or a bit off the back skiing. It's a pity the boot manufactures are removing the rear tech inserts on Tele boots as that gives a bit more options. In my opinion it is the Tele boots that are the weaker part right now. With tech bindings or split boards there is way more competition for Tele gear now.
 Kees 18 Dec 2016
In reply to FreeHeelSki:

You can get ski crampons for Rottefella Freedom bindings from these guys in the USA: http://www.bndskigear.com/ntnfreedomtech.pdf

I really like the Freedom binding. It is a lot lighter then my previous 7tm with the free pivot, while it is a lot more stable in the turns. It is not quite as lightweight as the new tech bindings, but at least it is now rather telemarking proof, something you can't quite say yet about the Meidjo. I hear about plenty of problems with those. They do have a new version out this year, so maybe they ironed out the bugs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...