UKC

Skiing in Georgia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Whittaker 11 Apr 2023

Anyone been?

Ive booked a trip to Bakhmaro in the lesser Caucasus next February.

6 days cat skiing, in hopefully untracked fresh powder for the price of a week in France (when I account for the price of beer over there these days!)

Jimp97 11 Apr 2023
In reply to J Whittaker:

who have you booked it with mate?

Frank R. 12 Apr 2023
In reply to J Whittaker:

Georgia - cheap, but pretty excellent home made wine nearly everywhere. No need for beer

No idea about Bakhmaro, sorry – friends used to go to Gudauri in winter when working there, but that's more or less a piste ski resort.

Post edited at 00:15
OP J Whittaker 12 Apr 2023
In reply to Jimp97:

They're called Climbing Georgia. 

Looks like a group of local Georgian guides, reading their website Georgia recently got inducted into the IFMGA a few years back.

Was just wondering if any on UKC had personal experience of skiing over there and how good it is. Some of the videos are wild Japan style powder.

TobyA 12 Apr 2023
In reply to J Whittaker:

A friend was over there earlier this winter I think on an Eagle Ski Club trip. It looked beautiful in the photos I've seen, I've not had a proper chat with him since but he did say that they had too much snow and dangerous avalanche conditions limited what they could do. 

philipjardine 12 Apr 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> A friend was over there earlier this winter I think on an Eagle Ski Club trip. It looked beautiful in the photos I've seen, I've not had a proper chat with him since but he did say that they had too much snow and dangerous avalanche conditions limited what they could do. 

yes a friend of mine was on that trip and I have talked to her.  they had a good time but exactly what you say about conditions.  Obviously they weren't using Cats (they would be expelled from the Eagles).

In reply to J Whittaker:

Hi, Was there in January. Based about 30 miles (as the crow flies) South in Adjara. Splitboarding, so no experience of the cat operators up in Bakhmaro. Talk from people who’ve been are the outfit(s) are well run. There’s more terrain about the tree line up there, so it’s best February onwards, when the snowpacks is more established.

Transferable info. The area gets plenty of weather activity (snow) pushing in off the Black Sea - the coast around Batumi has some huge rainfall totals. Locals, food and culture is fantastic. Travel can be tricky, especially when there’s new snow. Avalanche forecasting/information is sparse/non-existent and so is the local rescue capability. If you want anymore information or to see some pictures, drop me a message. Enjoy.

OP J Whittaker 13 Apr 2023
In reply to betterbelayerthanclimber:

Thanks for the info

As far as Avalanche and terrain info I'm confident the guides will be keeping us right on that front.

I'm loving the fact there is a good bit of tree skiing available in case the weather craps out, gives options for sure.

Ive booked early/mid Feb. The guides said snow is generally best 20th Jan -20th Feb sort of date.

Ive heard from others the food is excellent in Georgia which is a bonus. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...