UKC

Snowline on Ben Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2013
Where is it just now, please? I have A Project in mind, but it needs there to be loads of snow on the Ben all the way down. See if you can guess what it is
craigloon 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Skiing Tower Gully?
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2013
In reply to craigloon:

I wouldn't need snow all the way down for that.

Do you know where the snowline is, though?
 catt 15 Mar 2013
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2013
In reply to catt:

Ah, the cloud's lifted a bit. The reason I asked the question because there was nothing visible on there.

It would still be useful if someone could actually tell me what height the snowline is on Ben Nevis.
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2013

So... er... <cough> does anyone happen to know what height the snowline is on Ben Nevis?

<tumbleweed blowing leftwards>

<tumbleweed blowing rightwards>

<silence reigns>
 niallk 15 Mar 2013

If it's any use, on Weds, it was down to the CIC hut on that side and where the Red Burn meets the path on t'other (not withstanding that the Ben has more than two sides, but those are the two I was on).
 niallk 15 Mar 2013
In reply to niallk:

Mind, none of that would be very pleasant to ski as was all denture-loosening neve.
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2013
In reply to niallk:

ooh look! Someone's actually answered the question!

Mark Bull 15 Mar 2013

The webcam just got a clear shot of Aonach Mor: the snowline is at about 650-700m. It's a fairly thin dusting of new snow, though: skiable cover will be more patchy.
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

I think it's pretty clear that my Project isn't on tomorrow, anyway.
 niallk 15 Mar 2013

Out of curiosity, what was/is this "Project"? Shrouds of secrecy respected if it's something new, but guessing that's unlikely given the location.
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2013
In reply to niallk:

It was just to ski the Ben from the top to the bottom. "Bottom" meaning sea-level, or as close as I can manage.

Which isn't on tomorrow, because clearly I'll get nowhere near sea-level.
 niallk 15 Mar 2013

What route would you take (snow conditions/cover being equal)? Red burn, then down into Glen Nevis near the tourist path, or skin up to the North of Meall an t-Suidhe and descend behind the aluminium plant? Or something else entirely?
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2013
In reply to niallk:

Yes to Red Burn, then, if there was snow everywhere, I think (without having looked closely at all the actual terrain except on a map) I might try and go left all the way round Meall an t-Suidhe from the Halfway Lochan, perhaps ending up near the Ben Nevis Inn. But as I say that's speculative--it depends how feasible a long descending contour round Meall an t-Suidhe would be.

A different project altogether would be to ski down the back--descend towards the CMD arete then use the long slope down to Glen Nevis. Or indeed go up CMD and ski more or less to the Aonach Mor gondola...
 Mark Bull 15 Mar 2013

> it depends how feasible a long descending contour round Meall an t-Suidhe would be.

I can't see that ever being skiable: it's steep, rocky and cut by stream gullies. Going right at the lochan and heading for the road behind the distillery might work, though.
Tim Chappell 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Mark Bull:

Yes, I thought it might be non-viable. It's hard to tell from the map, but from memory and photos I thought it might not work.

Going behind the distillery would get you into the forests and bogs of the old Allt a'Mhuillin path...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...