UKC

Touring skis for a small skier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CacCarnBeag 22 Oct 2022

Hi all - i'm looking for recommendations for touring skiis for a small/light skier (I'm 165cm and 58kg).

I'm using Scott Cosmos boots.

I previously had Scott Superguide 88s in 160cm - should I just get these again? Or is there a better alternative for somebody of such a slight stature?

I ski tour in Scotland, and a mixture of lift-accessed off-piste and touring in the alps. 

Looking to use pin bindings, and ideally looking for a ski ~1.2kg

Any ski recommendations welcome...

Garethza 22 Oct 2022
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

Not related to your post but how did you find the super guides?
I’ve managed to acquire some for the upcoming season but they haven’t had any use just yet. Did you find them quite bulky? 

daWalt 22 Oct 2022
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

Not sure what you mean by better; better in what way?

what you had sounds totally fine for your use, and you'll find more than a few options that are comparable: Atomic Backland, Fischer Transalp, etc.

because you're wee and light, you could consider getting something slightly narrower; you can get similar float with a mid-waist ski as someone much taller and heavier with >100 underfoot.

my only "recommendation" would be, get you're target size (width, length), and approx weight - and get whatever is on discount sale. Skiing a lot in scotland, you'll wince less with each scrape.

In reply to CacCarnBeag:

86-90mm sounds about right for you assuming a mixture of snow types. Don't be afraid of a longer ski 165cm for example. They are all pretty rockered taking away the active edge bit. Here are a few decent skis I've skied or seen: 
K2 Wayback 88 (slightly old school in radius and shape), Line Vision 98 (modern, more centre mounted, superfun),  Fischer Ranger 90 (bit heavier), Fischer Transalp Carbon (very light).  Black Diamond Helio 88.  Dynafit Backlight 88 (very light), Zag Ubac (strong), Zag Adret (light), Black Crows Orb freebird (in between),

There're tonnes, but like daWalt says. Find something on sale that's about these sizes. 

kathrync 09 Nov 2022
In reply to CacCarnBeag:

I'm a similar size - 167 cm and ~58 kg.

For similar uses, I generally look for something around 88 - 90 in the waist and around 165 cm.

I've never felt the need to go wider in the waist, but I echo the comment above about not being afraid to go longer. It opens up your options. If the skis have some rocker, the effective edge won't be unmanageable, but you will get a little extra float. My previous skis were 158 - I was a little nervous about the longer length of my current skis (165) when I bought them, but it took my very little time to get used to it and I wouldn't go back now.

Beyond that, it's totally up to you based on your preferences.

For what it's worth, I'm currently skiing a 2013 pair of Blizzard Black Pearls which initially had frame bindings (Marker Tours) and now have shift bindings. A little heavy by current standards, and probably due for an upgrade in the next year or two, but I've enjoyed them.

HammondR 10 Nov 2022
 kevin stephens 10 Nov 2022
In reply to Terry James Walker:

> 86-90mm sounds about right for you assuming a mixture of snow types. Don't be afraid of a longer ski 165cm for example. They are all pretty rockered taking away the active edge bit.

Longer touring skis on short legs can make kick turns more awkward 

kathrync 10 Nov 2022
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Longer touring skis on short legs can make kick turns more awkward 

True, and a definite consideration. However, it's a trade off with benefits as well.

I found that when I restricted myself to a ski length less than 160, there wasn't much on offer outside of piste carvers (admittedly that was 10 years ago, this may have improved). Going 5 cm longer gave me massively more choice, a bit more float, and feel a lot more stable in lumpy stuff. Kick turns are definitely more awkward, but nowhere close to impossible (and have become easier since I changed my frame bindings for shifts). For me, the added length was worthwhile. There has to be a balance of course, and I don't think anyone was suggesting the OP go to 170+. The balance point for the OP could be in a different place, particularly if they have tight hips and struggles with kick turns anyway.

I would also note that most of my regular partners are other women at around my height, and have skis in the 163 - 168 range.

kevin stephens 10 Nov 2022
In reply to kathrync:

indeed, i love my Whitedot R.98s in 167cm and I wouldn’t want to ski anything shorter, but I do have very short legs and kick turns can be challenging on difficult ground, I should really put in some more practice. Kastle do a good range of shorter lengths in their off piste/touring skis., but at a price!

OP CacCarnBeag 10 Nov 2022
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks for the advice! interesting comment on ski length, it's not something I considered.

OP CacCarnBeag 10 Nov 2022
In reply to Terry James Walker:

Thank you - plenty of examples for me to consider there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...