UKC

Advice needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shaun adams 03 Jun 2018

Hi everyone. I am planning an expedition to climb the zugspitze for charity. The overall aim being to raise as much money as possible for my chosen charity while having fun along the way. Is there anyone who could give me any ideas on how to get sponsorship? Or any other advice on expedition planning would be great. I am not the most seasoned climber, having done most of mine at indoor walls and having only climbed mountains like snowdon etc.

profitofdoom 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Shaun adams:

> I am planning an expedition to climb the zugspitze for charity. --- Is there anyone who could give me any ideas on how to get sponsorship?

If this was me I would ask my family, friends, and work colleagues to sponsor me

If this was me I would also make sure that every penny I raised went directly to the charity - that is, I would pay all of my travelling/ climbing/ equipment expenses myself (from my own money)

Good luck with your fundraising, and climbing

OP Shaun adams 05 Jun 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

Thank you for the reply. I intend to fund the trip in full myself. I noticed that 4 people have given thumbs down to my original post. Why is this?

gethin_allen 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Shaun adams:

From your original post people may be thinking that you are looking for a free holiday for "charity". Glad to see you clear this up and show this is not the case.

mchardski 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Shaun adams:

The most likely explanation is that they are self righteous tw*ts. But hey, ,maybe I'm wrong. Good luck with the project.

Post edited at 20:02
 WaterMonkey 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Shaun adams:

The dislikers will be unadventurous couch potatoes with the spine of a jellyfish.

ignore them. And good luck with your expedition and planning.

In reply to WaterMonkey:

Thanks guys

iknowfear 05 Jun 2018
In reply to Shaun adams:

look up donors (companies) to that charity and ask them for additional sponsorship (resulting in hopefully positive exposure) 

Good Luck!

ps: Why Zugspitze if I may ask? Is it a train (Zug = train in german) related charity? 

In reply to iknowfear:

Thanks for that advice, i chose the zugspitze because i was born in germany and its a lot higher than anything in the uk and the via ferrata sections look scary. The charity will be help for heroes

tehmarks 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Shaun adams:

I'll happily admit to being one of the original dislikers. It did read a bit like you were angling for a free holiday in the name of charity. That's been clarified, and I've removed my negativity!

Post edited at 15:01
 subtle 06 Jun 2018
In reply to iknowfear:

> ps: Why Zugspitze if I may ask? Is it a train (Zug = train in german) related charity? 

The answer may be at that he fancies something at teh bottom of the map shown here

https://zugspitze.de/en/winter/mountain/zugspitze

Hmmmm

WaterMonkey 06 Jun 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Excellent honesty, but why not ask the OP initially to clear up any confusion rather than just effectively tutting and walking away?

Not a dig at you per se just generally the dislikers.

OP Shaun adams 06 Jun 2018
In reply to WaterMonkey

With hindsight, i should of stated that at the start

krikoman 06 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Hmmmm

I wish I knew you could get sponsored for that!!!

Or is that a critique of the restaurant?

And never go into the Wankbahn

Post edited at 17:52
 iknowfear 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Shaun adams:

ok cool.

Personally, I strongly dislike via Ferratas, the main reason being that the subjective feeling of security is higher (strong cables, Iron, Big Grips) than the objective security (Baaad Falls, lack of spacing between climbers... ) thus leading some of people into trouble with a false sense of security.

But best of Luck to you anyway. If you do it for charity, I'd try to add a marketable angle like: do the whole thing by fair means from home (Bike, sailboat etc)... Or wearing a flack jacket... 

(Sports climbing is the opposite, where the subjective feeling of security is much lower than the objective security, which is fairly high. In Mountaineering, the perceived risk is more in line with objective risk)

tehmarks 09 Jun 2018
In reply to WaterMonkey:

In a rush, no time to post, and I have a problem with sponsored events in general - let alone when (it sounds like) they're being used as a vehicle for a free holiday.

Yes, I should probably be more patient and refrain from contributing in any form if I don't have the time to contribute properly.

Post edited at 12:52
 tehmarks 09 Jun 2018
In reply to Shaun adams:

And I wish you the best of luck with your plans!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...