UKC

Are my shoes falling apart?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GlasgowMatt 21 Apr 2019

I'm a relatively new boulderer and a month ago I brought a pair of boreal joker's from cotswold. Since then I've been using them for indoor bouldering 2-3 times a week, with sessions of around 1.5 hours and climbing up to 6a. I've noticed that the green mid sole section of the left hand shoe is starting to separate from the front sole on the inside edge, the separation has been getting bigger over the past few sessions. This is also happening to a lesser extent on the outside edge of the midsole of the right hand shoe. Is this to be expected for this age/usage or should I be taking them back to cotswold and trying to get a refund?

Post edited at 19:22
 Fishmate 21 Apr 2019
In reply to GlasgowMatt:

Here's the thing. When you start out you tend to have very poor footwork compared to what you may achieve in 5-10 years. Don't take offence, pretty much anyone whoever climbed experiences this. As you progress your footwork improves and your shoes take less of a battering, i.e. you buy less often.

I remember getting through 5-6 pairs in the first couple of years but having climbed for 8 years, I bought my last pair 15 months after the previous. That assumes at least six solid months on rock and 3 x p/w indoors if not during that time. It'll get better and cheaper, unless you fancy better shoes!

On the flip side, maybe it is a design fault. Perhaps speak to staff or more experienced climbers who you can show the problem to.

GlasgowMatt 22 Apr 2019
In reply to Fishmate:

Brilliant, thanks for your advice. I'll get some more experienced climbers to have a look next time I'm at the wall. 

krikoman 22 Apr 2019
In reply to GlasgowMatt:

I'd take them back and see what they can do, unless you're heavy and have poor footwork shoes should be lasting longer.

In reply to GlasgowMatt:

I still have my first pair of climbing shoes, they're about 6 years old now and very worn out but still usable. Granted they haven't been used consistently for 6 years, but 1 month is ridiculous to see problems. Take them back. 

tehmarks 22 Apr 2019
In reply to GlasgowMatt:

For the sole to be separating after a month is unreasonable regardless of your footwork - take them back.

For balance though, I have a pair of Mythos which started to peel away where the rubber meets suede after hardly any use and within about the same timeframe (possibly from being left in my boot in hot wearther a few too many times). Four years later they're still going strong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...