UKC

Arthurs Seat scrambles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Spadger75 18 Jun 2019

Hi there,

A newbie post here..  I live close to Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh - and have climbed it lots of times (with and without my kids/in-laws etc..)- initially by the stone paths, then by the Gutted Haddie route (more fun).  There are clearly other, even quieter and probably also a bit sketchier ways up on the NW face of Arthurs Seat - I went up something today branching up steeply from Piper's walk which I'd tentatively rate as harder than a Grade I scramble (I'll try to attach my GPS map of the route to the top if the forum will let me)..  I've seen the helpful UKC list of routes around Arthurs Seat and Salisbury Crags, but it would be really helpful to see any other guides people have to where these routes actually start / stop.. and where the scrambles up are too.. Can anyone help?

Mike-W-99 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Spadger75:

There’s a big section in Lowland Outcrops. I think the Scottish library downstairs at the central library on George IV bridge should have a copy.

Martin W 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

That's mainly the climbs in and around the South Quarry, though, isn't it?  (Maybe plus the columnar basalt Camson's Ribs, which are a tad close to the road.  I don't have my copy to hand to check for sure.)

The OP seems to be interested specifically in gaining the summit, which the top of the South Quarry ain't.  That said, it can be a satisfying place for a donder, and some of the routes could pass for short scrambles.  (I believe that in theory you don't need a permit if you're not doing roped climbing.  But the park rangers may take a different view.  AIUI there's no "right to roam" in Holyrood Park - it's all permissive, so basically their word is law.)

There's the Cat Nick, but reports I've read suggest that it is somewhat loose, and the park rangers can be picky about it because of the risk of stuff being dislodged on to people walking on the Radical Road below.  At the north end of the Radical Row is someone-or-other's (Harrison's?) Pinnacle but I think that may risk attracting attention from the security bods at the Scottish Parliament if you aren't careful.

In reply to Spadger75:

That sounds like 'Red Chimney'.  

I like the small path which comes off the main 'high level' road coming from the commonwealth pool a little after the gap between Arthur's Seat and the Crags.   It starts off with some wooden steps and then becomes a mini-scramble through a notch in the rocks.  It looks like you can keep going straight up after the 'official' scrambly bit rather than on the easy path.  I tried that once and don't recommend it, it's OK at first and then it turns to crumbling choss. 

Further up there's a path on the right through the bracken and over a couple of mini rock steps or get back onto the big tourist path from the engineered steps.   If you cross straight over the tourist path there's another side path that heads up and involves a few scrambling moves across a slab with a big drop on one side.

There's another slightly scrambly path just above St Margaret's Chapel onto Whinny Hill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...