UKC

Asking for sponsorship........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 22 Aug 2012
If looking for charity money and sponsorship to go and climb and 7,000m opeak is it wrong to directly contact companies directly in asking for money?

The chosen charity is one that is close to my heart and in return clothing and a flag displaying logos will be made.

Any thoughts?
 gear boy 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Anonymous:

no, its what everyone else does, but be aware, ITS WHAT EVERYONE ELSE DOES!

Make your request stand out somehow
OP Anonymous 22 Aug 2012
In reply to gear boy:

Any little hints and tips?
 John_Hat 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Anonymous:

yes, you're very likely to get responses on the lines of "why should i pay for your holiday?".

So put what you are doing for the charity very high on the agenda, so they actually feel that they are doing something for the charity, rather than doing something for you. You'll get a better response that way.
OP Anonymous 22 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

That's the aim. I just don't know how to word it. Do I include about the family reason for supporting the charity?

Would a printed letter be better than email?
Jim C 23 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to Anonymous)
>
> yes, you're very likely to get responses on the lines of "why should i pay for your holiday?".
>
> ...........

I have to agree with this, It has changed from 'Just Giving' to 'Just Give me !

There are a lot of lucky people who have retired in early 50's or are students in a gap year, who now want ME to pay towards them to go and do lots of things that I would like to do, but have neither the time or the money to do myself. The charity has to cough up their costs out of the amount raised.

If they are covering their own costs, and therefore ALL the money raised will go to charity then that is different, and I am then verylikely to contribute, otherwise not a chance in hell no matter the cause.

Jenny C 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> That's the aim. I just don't know how to word it. Do I include about the family reason for supporting the charity?
>
> Would a printed letter be better than email?

I would certainly tell people your personal resons for doing this, it helps to raise the profile of the charities work and also your commitment to them.

Again, yes a letter would IMO be better (harder to ignore/dismiss) than an email, better still go in in person and see if you can pull at their heart strings.

Are you paying for the trip yourself?
If so make it clear that ALL your sponsorship will go to the charity and that you are not getting them to pay you to go on holiday - as you can tell from other replies people these days don't think a lot of people raising money for charity as a way of getting a free holiday.
 Alex Ekins 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Anonymous:
Alpkit have put together some info on sponsorship which may be useful - http://www.alpkit.com/company/sponsorship
J1234 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Anonymous:
Were you on Catbells last weekend?
 red.stiletto 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Anonymous:
I did a big charity event a coupe of years ago, raised a few thousand foe my charity and got a bit of company sponsorship too.
I would say, like others, if you are paying your own expenses to do the trip then make this clear. For me it helped that I could ask people to donate knowing every penny would go straight to the charity. The fact that I talked about my personal reasons four supporting that charity also really helped.
approaching companies you will have more luck if you ask for free or discounted products than cash. Also approach small and local companies. And get yourself inthe local press so they know a pic of you in their t shirt our whatever might be on the front page of the local rag.that's worth real money to them.
Good luck, be persistent and enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...