UKC

Best place to visit with a beginner in Yorkshire?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lxclimbs 08 Aug 2018

Hi all, title is pretty self explanatory. I'm visiting Yorkshire with a friend soon and am looking for advice on where we'll be able to find the easiest outdoor bouldering we can. I'm confident indoors and have started to explore real rock on a few short trips, but the person I'm bringing has only climbed a couple of times indoors, and I'm looking for somewhere he'll enjoy! Thanks in advance!

GrahamUney 08 Aug 2018
In reply to lxclimbs:

Brimham Rocks is good fun, and has boulder problems at all grades.

Jon Stewart 08 Aug 2018
In reply to lxclimbs:

Almscliff is very often in condition - dries quick, catches the breeze - and has loads of easy stuff (as well as loads of medium stuff, and hard stuff, and very hard stuff). Great place to go bouldering.

Simon Caldwell 08 Aug 2018
In reply to lxclimbs:

Where in Yorkshire? Depending on the answer  Scugdale - Scot Crags may fit the bill

Offwidth 09 Aug 2018
In reply to lxclimbs:

Most big venues have good stuff but Buckstones (below the road)  would be my favorite.  Buckstones Edge (Nont Sarah's). On a still, humid, midgy day I'd go to Woodhouse Scar.  Woodhouse Scar

afx22 09 Aug 2018
In reply to lxclimbs:

Buckstones has loads of easy stuff with relatively easy top outs.  Minimal walk in too, just don't go if it's windy (say more than 10 mph).

Almscliff is great - there so much there but you might not think it on first visit.  Almost always has lots of grip when other crags will be greasy.

Brimham - other than the Car Park Boulders, it's all spread out with lots of rounded top outs, so I'd avoid that for now.

Sharp Haw, up near Skipton is good.  Walk in is about 20 mins.  Views are great and loads of easy climbing.

Shipley Glen, plenty of easy stuff around the 'John' & Leaper Traverse areas.  Walk in is about 10m from the car.  Not so good when it's hot.

Widdop - beautiful place to be and a good variety of climbing style required.  Good at the F5 to 6b level.

OP lxclimbs 09 Aug 2018
In reply to afx22:

Thank you so much, this is amazing!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. We're driving up for a few days to hike and climb and I'm really excited about the great looking options people have mentioned.

Offwidth 09 Aug 2018
In reply to afx22:

I wouldn't recommend Shipley Glen for beginners often very highball and tough graded on easier problems; fine if treated as short trad (iie roped). Almscliffe is very good at lower grades but actually a bit limited for beginners ... the best beginner problems there are not listed in the guides. Brimham is better as some of the best beginner stuff is listed and in the area nearest to the parking.

afx22 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Regarding Shipley Glen, I know what you mean about the highballs but I thinks there plenty of lower stuff around the John and Leaper Traverse areas.  I also agree about Almscliff but using 27 Crags (shh!) it's quite feasible to find loads of easy stuff.  I've found beginners struggle with the top outs at Brimham and there's always the danger of going off exploring and not being able to find your way back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...