UKC

Likes and dislikes (again)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 05 May 2018

Who is the unhelpful idiot who gave a dislike to Andy Hemsted's post (Mon 17.50) in the thread "Advice on starting outdoor climbing/belaying" ?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/starting_out/advice_on_starting_outdoor_c...

This is a thread started by someone seeking advice and all you can do is give a moronic "dislike" to a post by someone trying to help without any explanation.

How the hell do you suppose that is going to help the OP?

Post edited at 09:08
 NorthernGrit 05 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Probably just accidental while browsing on a smartphone. I’ve done it before.

Or people being dicks.

Edit- having now read it, it could just be someone objecting to it being necessary to go on a 6 day course before heading to a crag. Likes and dislikes are not nuanced. Which is one of the many reasons not to pay much attention to them.

Post edited at 09:28
 jon 05 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Could be accidental with the like/dislike now being right next to return to forum/top of page buttons. Like/dislike used to be on the right hand side of the page.

timjones 05 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Maybe they disliked the suggestion that it requires a 6 day course to get into climbing?

In reply to Trangia:

Wouldn't it be easier to grow up and ignore the likes/dislikes and concentrate on the text? 

Please don't dislike this comment, I might cry and Teddy is in the wash. 

OP Trangia 05 May 2018
In reply to NorthernGrit:

> Edit- having now read it, it could just be someone objecting to it being necessary to go on a 6 day course before heading to a crag. Likes and dislikes are not nuanced. Which is one of the many reasons not to pay much attention to them.

You and Timjones, and others as well make good points, but wouldn't it have been easier for the disliker to have explained this, rather than leaving everyone including the newbie OP guessing, which is what everyone on this thread is now doing?

Regarding a 6 day course, I've not been on a 6 day introductory course since I was taught climbing by the Army in the early 1960s, so I have no idea of the current format. In those days the course was actually 6 days during which we progressed from being complete beginners to leading multi pitch Severe routes. I found it to be a good foundation for a lifetime of enjoying multi pitch.

To Whippet, personally I don't give a toss about the likes or dislikes to my posts, but as this was in the Starting Out forum I still think it was unhelpful to a newbie OP when reading the advice being given. But as has been said it could have been a mistake.

Post edited at 11:19
 olddirtydoggy 05 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Sounds like a hate crime to me, anybody called the police? Although it's a forum with real people with feelings I tend to look at those like/dislike tabs as zero's and one's. I'm sure some of the more abrasive members on here are really nice in real life.

Removed User 05 May 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Let me assure you that some of the more abrasive members on here are even worse in real life. I doubt any would lower themselves to use the dislike button as a means of expression though.

Post edited at 13:12
Andy Gamisou 05 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

>> but wouldn't it have been easier for the disliker to have explained this, rather than leaving everyone including the newbie OP guessing,

Umm - approximately 10ms to press a button - versus spending much of the next week (or two) explaining, re-explaining, getting all passive aggressive, then getting really aggressive, casting aspirations on various individuals parentage, threatening legal action, threatening mafia action, acquiring a drink problem, acquiring an opioid problem, spending the rest of one's personal assets on tracking down and enacting  retribution to each and every person that offended you, finally spending the rest of ones miserable existence in a debtor's prison before merciful release at one's own hand. 

Yeah - maybe you're right!

timjones 05 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> You and Timjones, and others as well make good points, but wouldn't it have been easier for the disliker to have explained this, rather than leaving everyone including the newbie OP guessing, which is what everyone on this thread is now doing?

Given that the post was simple and the only message was "consider professional instruction" then no-one needs to be a genius to work out what was being liked or disliked.

In reply to Trangia:

There's some rum buggers around. Best off ignoring 'em.

T.

Ben07 05 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Why do you give a shit if somebody has pressed The dislike button? It  means f**k all lol. 

I'll give my self a dislike.

Turns out you can't like or dislike your own posts.

Post edited at 19:40
 Rampikino 06 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

On individual posts or comments I occasionally wonder why someone might have disliked something so benign or obvious, but hey ho.

I have now seen, however, that some users do have “dislike stalkers” and that it just weird and creepy.

bouldery bits 06 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

We need  like, dislike and 'who cares?' buttons.

oldie 17 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

It might be best to get rid of the negative" dislike" button in many forums and just have the positive "like" if one must. 

I'm sure its been mentioned previously but it must be dead easy to create different personas with different email addresses and profiles for trolling and bullying.

GrahamD 17 May 2018
In reply to NorthernGrit:

> Probably just accidental while browsing on a smartphone. I’ve done it before.

Me too.  Not just on smart phone either,  laptop and swipe pad I find equally prone to errors.

ianstevens 17 May 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> To Whippet, personally I don't give a toss about the likes or dislikes to my posts, 

But yet you post a thread about them around once every six weeks.

Have a dislike.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...