UKC

Looking for: Intro to trad climbing course in Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mthomas1uk 23 Feb 2022

Hi there, 

Im looking for an intro to trad climbing course for me and my partner anytime this summer 2022.

We are relatively new climbers, currently leading 5b sport outdoors and have a bit of experience seconding some easy trad with friends. 

we have a basic rack including nuts, hexes and offsets already.

We’d like to build confidence in building belays and leading easy trad to allow us to start doing some of our local routes.

we’re based in Machynlleth but can easily travel anywhere in snowdonia or further afield.

id be buying the course for both of us as a bday present for my girlfriend but my budget is not large. Was hoping there may be someone out there that needed to log some climbs that may be able to show us the ropes.

Cheers,

Matt

Alex Riley 23 Feb 2022
In reply to Mthomas1uk:

Hi Matt

Ive got a few differnt intro courses and tasters running this summer, which can be found here; 

https://www.moelwynmountaineering.com/

I also run bespoke private courses, I can be contacted through the website or at moelwynmountaineering@gmail.com

In reply to Mthomas1uk:

Hi, I have availability throughout the year. Based in Snowdonia too. Association of mountaineering instructors member. Take a look at https://www.higherclimbing.wales/rock-climbing-courses/

jezb1 23 Feb 2022
In reply to Alex Riley:

In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Quiet day in N Wales?! 😂

ianstevens 23 Feb 2022
In reply to jezb1:

If you live in Mach every day is a quiet day! 

brianjcooper 23 Feb 2022
In reply to Mthomas1uk:

Plas Y Brenin.

Not cheap but we've found their courses excellent.

In reply to jezb1:

I don't know, I'm in the lakes. It's grim. 

Offwidth 23 Feb 2022
In reply to Mthomas1uk:

Keep an eye on the forums as there are sometimes people offering free tuition as part of their logbook (towards an instructor qualification) and others who are just experienced climbers who are happy to help. Even if you have to pay I'd say it's a good investment.

CantClimbTom 23 Feb 2022
In reply to Mthomas1uk:

My first ever climb will be 31 years ago in August (Tremadog) with an instructor, it was 1:1 (2 others dropped out on the morning first day for some sort of personal emergency). This was perfect... 1:1 for 2 days and you will learn so much (OK 1:2  I suppose in your case but you know what I mean)

If you can't afford it Offwidth suggestion (trainee instructor) could work, but you may get what you pay for or you may be super lucky, you just never know, lucky dip

Or better if you can? Moelwyn or Jezb are both excellent and you won't go wrong with either of those 2

Post edited at 18:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...